Mama's Family 30th Anniversary

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by darkrock17, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Good to know. I'll take a look at those two when I get my set. Maybe they'll recall those discs. Who knows? Maybe they found the errors already and that's why they delayed the shipping. Let's see what happens. Take care.

2. potnoodle

potnoodle Stunt Coordinator

Will F

3. MONSTOYS

MONSTOYS Auditioning

ROB
    HI Potnoodle,
    Season two should have arrived along with this season one. Not sure why the delay, but the moment it arrivesI'll be looking over and relaying what I have found here.
    On the set I do have, season one, there is 2 special features. A restropective titled Mama's Family Tree and 1 Family sketch from the Carol Burnett show from Dec. 11 1976 "The Attic".
    Rob

4. potnoodle

Will F
    Thank you Rob. There is a comment on Time-Life's Facebook page from someone who bought both season 1 and 2 at Best Buy who says that there are a total of six edited episodes over both seasons. So that means that four episodes from Season 2 are also edited. Boy does that stink. Completely unethical and dishonest behavior.

5. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    I'm glad that the complete series is coming all at once, because the complaints and "I'M NOT BUYING THIS!!!11!2" furor over six cut episodes would probably mean the series would stall out yet again.

There are any number of reasons six cut episodes had to be used. Screwed up network masters, lost network masters, JHP didn't have those six for some reason... Time-Life is generally pretty good about stuff like this, are they not?

Granted, a heads up would have been nice, just for the sake of total discloure. But to me, six cut episodes isn't a dealbreaker, and it wouldn't have affected my decision to buy. And if others are going to boycott the other 125 episodes over this, hey, your loss. My set will still arrive sometime next week.

...and that's if they're edited at all. We still don't really know anything yet, other than one Facebook post, one Amazon post, and one post here, which could easily have come from the same person looking to stir things up.

6. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    Could you be anymore insulting? The fact is, T/L lied. They promised EVERY episode would be uncut. So much for that. When you lie, you lose your potential customers. That's a fact.

MatthewA likes this.
  7. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    And once again, we have no proof yet, other than three very similar posts on FB, HTF, and Amazon. Nothing more.

When a reputable source like TSoD or the like comes down and says "yeah, there are six edited episodes", well, as I said... it definitely should have been mentioned up front six episodes were edited, but IMO, that isn't a dealbreaker.

8. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    You know, I have a mantra from Nickelodeon's Rugrats, spoken by Stu Pickles I'd like to quote, that perfectly sums up what I think about studios making promises that they ultimately end up never keeping:

"If a promise you don't keep, it will haunt you in your sleep. And as you lie beneath your quilt, you will have a conscience full of guilt."

darkrock17 likes this.
  9. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    If this is true, isn't it kinda like Scott Tissue advertising "240 sheets of paper towel on every roll in a 16 pack" and then actually have 200 sheets on 4 rolls?

It's decietful if true. There's really no way around it.

10. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    Actually, it's more like a six pack of paper towels, where 4 rolls have 240 sheets, one has 200, the other has around 220.

Though at this time (on Facebook), they're copping to three edits in season two, none in season one, and I believe music rights is the stated reason for any edits.

A note on the product page about the edits would have been nice. But, music rights suck in the US, so no outrage from me at this time.

11. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I thought about doing some exact math, but figured I would have made my point without being technical. ;)

See, TL was hoping no one would notice or say anything. TL should have been honest and disclosed this info a long time ago as far as I'm concerned. It's not like they didn't know a month ago.

Yes, music is a problem, granted and understood. But it doesn't mean TL can try to sweep it under the rug. Honesty is the best policy.

12. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    Agreed.

People are generally more understanding about stuff like this is it's presented to them up front.

I always go back to the Married With Children theme song replacement as proof of that. Sony told people it would be replaced, told them why, and no one really complained after that.

13. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I know their music and video divisions are two separate things but......

Their infomercials they used to advertise their country music package bugged me. They would brag that there were NO re-recordings. Bull hockey. Right in the infomercial they played Conway Twitty's "It's Only Make Believe" and while they used a film clip of him from the 50's, the song they played was a 80's remake. Same thing with the Eddy Arnold songs. They used stereo re-recordings Eddy made in the 60's instead of the hit versions from the 40's. I e-mailed them several times and received no response.

They also issued Hank Williams' Mother's Best recordings. Epic fail. Yes, I love the music but they were shrill sounding and absolutely no bass at all. I've heard bootleg versions that had more body to them.

So, needless to say, I'm no fan of Time-Life to begin with and this adds to it.

14. potnoodle

Will F

15. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Time Life responded thusly on their FB page:

I just spoke with the producers on our collection and they have confirmed NOTHING was cut from Season 1. In Season 2, Mama for Mayor had to have a scene removed because a music licenser wouldn't give us the rights. These are the original syndicated versions, NOT the edited versions released by Universal in 2006."

Well, that's one confession, at least. although I have a feeling they don't know what they're talking about...Warners released the first season, not Universal.

They haven't said anything about the other episodes. Does anyone know if "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" is missing from "Flaming Forties?" That would be the biggest music clearance problem, IMO. I have no idea what song was used in "Mama For Mayor." I believe I may have off-air vhs copies of "Mayor" which I recorded 30 years ago. I'll have to fire up the vcr and see what is missing. I don't think I have "Cellmates" or "Mama's Boyfriend."

16. MONSTOYS

MONSTOYS Auditioning

ROB
    I would have been absolutely fine if Time/Life would have mentioned that some episodes where the edited versions, I would have have had no problem. But, when there is a sticker on the outside of the package mentioning uncut as originally broadcast. Come on.....
    Unless, time/life just didn't know and didn't even consider checking a disc to make sure they were complete episodes.
    I don't have the second season, so, I am not sure about those episodes. But, as for Cellmates and Mama's Boyfriend, the very first thing which is apparent is there is no Harvey Korman openings.

17. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    Some of you aren't nearly as reasonable as you claim to be. Even if edits had been mentioned ahead of time, people would STILL be griping or making up vague reasons why it "should have been fixed". Edits are sometimes unavoidable. Deal with it.

18. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    The latest about that from T/L is that there were no Harvey Korman openings on the broadcast masters for those two episodes.

Were there Alistair Quince openings on all S1 episodes, or were these two always missing them? Ayone with old VHS tapes from '82 that can confirm or deny?

And then we go back to the lost materials question.

19. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Well that's not right. Take for instance:

1) Star Trek: The Next Generation S1 on BD. When consumers got their copies and four discs had problems, they complained to CBS. CBS acknowledged the problem and there was a replacement program within a week. New copies were on shelves and that move helped CBS get a lot of positive kudos. I delivered some directly to SVP's at sister company Paramount last October.

2) Also on TNG BD's: there are scattered pieces of film that were not found to convert to HD. CBS has been entirely forthcoming with that information, including a disclaimer on the back of the package as well as a blurb when you go to watch an episode. I have not heard a peep from any consumer about how terrible this is.

3) I'll go to the aforementioned Married...with Children. The consumer knew of the problem ahead of time and you didn't see anyone trying to storm Sony.

So, sure, there will be people that will never be happy. A vast majority of consumers want honesty and transparency. This is duplicitous. No one can argue TL didn't know about these items last week or the week before or in July or whenever. They chose not to disclose the information for one reason or another. Yes, maybe these issues couldn't be fixed and were unavoidable. Is honesty too much to ask now?

I will get over it by not buying the set. Thank you for the very helpful suggestion!

MatthewA and Ron1973 like this.
  20. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I don't think they lied so much as it's a communications issue between editing and marketing. Marketing probably wasn't made to understand what was going on with the cuts. Were probably told the eps were complete and that's what they printed in their ads. I'm disappointed but I don't think it's worth canceling my order, or losing my shit over.