What's new

Mama's Family 30th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I wonder if Warner finally figured out the first season didn't sell well because the episodes weren't uncut.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Of course, I would love for this to be true but it does seem sketchy to me. I've never even heard of this WEA-Des Moines video and besides, WB owns the show. I'd like WB to release S2 uncut but if all they have are cut episodes I say release them--just so we can get onto the syndicated years which they DO own uncut for sure.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Would there be many music clearance issues? The only one I recall is the Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy episode in season two.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
rmw650 said:
It looks like it's a subsidiary of Time-Life called Starvista Video, the same folks who will also be releasing some of the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts in September as well...TVShowsonDVD.com has a further explanation of these releases in their post here...http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mamas-Family-Seasons-1-and-2/18515 and http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dean-Martin-Dean-Martin-Celebrity-Roast/18512
StarVista IS Time/Life.

Apparently, they're rebranding.

Their upcoming website even says so, and the Time Life website has the "StarVista" logo in the upper corner now.

http://www.starvista.com/

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
The Obsolete Man said:
Unless S1 winds up rereleased uncut, I couldn't really care less whether seasons 2 and up are released.

But, an uncut S1 means I'll buy whatever seasons they want to release.
Agree completely, although only the NBC episodes (Seasons 1 & 2) have the edit issue. The runtime of the first-run syndicated episodes (Season 3-6) were three minutes shorter than the NBC episodes to allow the local stations that signed on more commercial time. It would seem totally senseless to re-release Season 1 exactly as Warner did and which sold poorly because of the edits, so I'm choosing to be optimistic that they did a deal with John Hamilton for the unedited masters.

The TVShowsOnDVD.com story has four Amazon pre-order links to the new releases (Season 1, Best of Season1, Season 2 and Best of Season 2) but as of now, only the Season 2 link is working.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
rmw650 said:
There's also another post I started last night that contains more comments and information on this possible release in September.
If you'd like you could merge your thread with mine or vice versa

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Well this is sounding more hopeful. I have no issues with 'double-dipping' on Season 1 to get the unedited episodes with the pompous Alistair Quince intros--as long as we get uncut Season 2 shows and finally get the ball rolling on the rest of the series.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Kasey said:
Well this is sounding more hopeful. I have no issues with 'double-dipping' on Season 1 to get the unedited episodes with the pompous Alistair Quince intros--as long as we get uncut Season 2 shows and finally get the ball rolling on the rest of the series.
I agree; we've been waiting quite long enough for this to be done right...! I do hope that the article was more than speculating when they suggested that a complete series set may be coming, too.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I honestly never thought I'd see the day this was even a possibility. Holy cow. Fingers and toes crossed for the best but keeping in mind this may not be the release we all really want.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Lambert said:
Mama's Family - Simply INCREDIBLE News About StarVista/Time-Life's DVD Plans! http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/18520

:D
I just read that and came here to post the link to TVSOD.

Damn, that was a quick announcement. And after 7 years, it's about time, too.

So, maybe you would know... is the switch from T/L to StarVista heralding more releases, or is this just business as usual and this is just the other big release for the year after China Beach?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The Obsolete Man said:
I just read that and came here to post the link to TVSOD.

By the way, we abbreviate ourselves as "TSoD". To us, the "V" is redundant since the "T" signifies it. :D

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
David Lambert said:
Mama's Family - Simply INCREDIBLE News About StarVista/Time-Life's DVD Plans! http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/18520

:D
Wow. For once, an announcement that's prefaced with the term "incredible" that's totally justified. This is the best TV on DVD news in years. Being a professional skeptic, I honestly never thought that Warner (or whoever) would care enough to acquire the unedited "Joe Hamilton cuts". It's been a long, long wait but now the complete, unedited Mama's Family is finally coming out later this year. Add in the hours of bonus features that they're promising, its like our patience is being rewarded in spades. Hopefully, this will include outtakes from the show, but anything they want to add is just icing on the cake! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks