What's new

Mallrats 10th Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

How about some uncut films from Tricia's "research project". :eek: :wink: :D

Yeah, I don't see myself buying this film again. Course, I thought the same about Clerks...

Jason

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

I thought I was the only one that wanted that Edited for Television version, it was great in its own quirky way of senselessness. Also they could try to put a version of the film in its original intended versionn together with deleted scenes and possibly some new animated ones. I know they wanted to do a Mallrats cartoon.

clayton b

Stunt Coordinator
If there's a new commentary with both Smith and Affleck then I'll bite. Those two are great on commentary tracks.

BTW, the new 10th anniversary edition is Universal's idea, not Kevin's. I'm pretty sure he confirmed that somewhere on his message board.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Is a second edition of Mallrats really necessary, or would the output be better served with an anamorphic widescreen SE of The Sting?

RAH

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
And (apart from both movies being from Universal) the relevance of this question in this thread is ...?

:confused:

Kevin Smith will finally release his version of the only movie he didn't edit himself and the 'Mallrats X' set will most likely be as good as the 'Clerks X' set (one of the best releases of last year).

This isn't the fourth edition of 'Spider-Man 2' or the tenth edition of 'Evil Dead' - this is something that a lot of people are actually looking forward to.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

The assumption doesn't work. That assumes that somehow doing Mallrats impedes the creation of a new Sting DVD. Unless someone at Universal explicitly says that, it's an assumption that doesn't necessarily follow...

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Clerks is and will always be my favorite Smith film (unless Clerks 2 is better than Clerks as Smith himself says), But, all in all, I am a Kevin Smith fan, and I probably will double dip on any and all smith films (with the exception of Jersey Girl :D )BTW, the Clerks X dvd IMHO was completly worth the double dip. the bonus features alone are worth it. let alone the quality of the new transfer it got. Ive noticed that with Smith movies the double dip is usually justified if your a fan.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

We've only had two Smith double dips to date, right - Dogma and Clerks? In a way, I'm reluctant to call Dogma a "double dip" since we knew the SE was coming when the standard version hit shelves. I think "double dip" should be used only when we DON'T know that in advance - I wouldn't call the SEs of Lord of the Rings double dips, for example. The eventual SE of Jersey Girl would be the same - Smith made sure we knew one would come out before the current DVD made the shelves.

That said - unless I'm spacing, there are only two Smith movies with more than one version on the market...

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
Right, 'Dogma' was a "pre-announced" double-dip and 'Clerks X' came out five years after the original DVD.

Same with Mallrats - the original DVD came out six years ago.

In a time were some movies get released twice within three months, nobody should accuse Kevin Smith of double-dipping.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
I wonder if smith will include both the theatrical version, and the new longer cut (i guess the longer version will have the whole alternate opening and no real bad "ADR". I wonder also if this will be using seamless branching, since if they pull out another 90 minute documentary like "the snowball effect", the video quality would suffer.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, I can't wait for Mallrats X even though I have a sneaking suspition I'm about to get the current DVD from my girlfriend.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Casey,

This is a bit off topic, but the quote in your sig made me choke on the water I was drinking.

Classic Masta Shake.

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

Not neccessarily. It certainly might, but, at the time, Smith had said that the opening of the theatrical release was how he had written the script. The studio wanted him to open up the movie to be bigger at the beginning, so he wrote the "bigger" scene which, by all agreement, isn't as funny. So they went and shot what had been the originally intended opening.

The reason he's re-cutting it is because it's the only one where somebody else edited it (even though he and Mosier do have co-editing credit), as far as I understand it.

I just hope that they include chapter stops on the deleted scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks