What's new

Male (or Female) Orientated Movies (1 Viewer)

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator
I just received my copy of Ice Station Zebra and watched it again. Great movie with good acting by the leads and Alistair MacLean's tense plot.

But I noticed something while watching it and it got me to thinking about other movies with a similar feature.

There aren't ANY women in it at all. The movie's best part of two and a half hours long. From start to finish we only see a single woman. She's in it for about 5 seconds sitting in McCluskey's bar when the message arrives for Rock Hudson. She's no lines and is only seen in long shot the scene is focussing on Rock Hudson and the barman. Unsurprisingly she isn't creditted!!!

Can people think of other movies, particularly long movies like this one that have so few women (or men).

I did think about other movies but couldn't come up with another example. Although there are others that are close for example

Hunt for Red October - Just a brief scene with Gate's McFadden at the start and then a stewardess at the end.

But none where no women even spoke, or where really nothing more than background scenery as in this one.

Gereon_B

Grip
Well, the movie that directly springs to my mind is Lawrence of Arabia. Only a few shots of mourning women on a hill and one arm...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My favorite film of all time -- Glory. Hardly any women appear, and I don't remember for sure whether any of them have any lines. On the same subject, I don't think there were too many women in Gettysburg, either. (There were a few in the sequel, Gods & Generals.)

I have to say this. . ."orientated" is NOT A WORD!!! :)
(Try "oriented.")

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Certainly many war films have very few women, and only in small parts - The Great Escape, Stalag 17, Mister Roberts, etc.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Come to think of it, my favorite film has most of the women portrayed as flight attendants. With the exception of a Soviet woman and Mr. Kubrick's young daughter, women have no real speaking roles in it.

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator

Wasn't it a woman who shot Tim Roth? The one in the car he and Harvey Keitel tried to take from her. I didn't check, but I'm thinking she had a couple of lines, anyway. IIRC from the commentary, she was not an actress, but had some other behind the camera job with the production.

But the point is well taken. Reservoir Dogs is definitely a movie with guys in all the significant roles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks