Malcolm not quite the as funny IMHO

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Prentice Cotham, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I'm a big fan of Malcolm in the Middle. I've watched in since it hit the air and thought it was one of the funniest shows on TV. This season seems to be lackluster for some reason. There are moments that are hilarious, but it doesn't seem to be consistent for a whole episode. I can't quite put my finger on it. Anyone else have opinions?

2. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

I agree with you. It just doesn't seem as funny anymore.

I've taken to watching Alias instead on Sunday nights.

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I gave up on this show after 3 episodes, since it was all about the screaming mom, the idiot dad and the obnoxious kids, and a tired formula. Maybe you've caught on to that too? [​IMG]
    /Mike

4. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

I would hardly call Malcolm in the Middle "formulaic". For example: single camera photography, no laugh track, narrator occasionally addressing the camera, and the sub-plot usually involving a character who interacts with the other characters by phone most of the time. These are all rather unusual for a live action sitcom (or at least they were at the time).

The show no longer seems as fresh or original to me as it once seemed, but a lot of that is due to the fact that the new episodes are structured similarly to the past ones. For example, the intro scene almost always involves some kind of quick mischief and laugh unrelated to the rest of the show. There have also been knockoffs (e.g. Tucker) which I haven't watched.

I'd be happy to hear which shows you think are better than Malcolm (not to criticize your choices but to view an episode or two of any I have yet to watch - although if you did name something craptacular - think Veronica's Closet - I would have to call you on it!).

5. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

I dont know what anyone is talking about when they say Malcom isnt as funny. This weeks episode was a bit of a slow roller, but it really paid off at the end. That whole birthday party scene nearly had me rolling on the floor.

I agree with Dave that I think most people arent finding the show as fresh as it once was, simply because we're used to it by now. But I think the quality of each episode has remained on track with the previous.

As for Malcom being 'formulaic'? Actually the fact that Malcom broke the same old formula when it first came on the air is what made it such a great show and a hit.

JQ

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Well, it's been off and on IMO. I didn't find the first episode all that funny. I thought the nailed the second episode, Emancipation. The third episode was better than the first but not as good as the second. And the forth episode I missed because I didn't know it was on comedy wheel.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Well, I just finished watching tonight's episode of Malcolm in the Middle, and it has found it's stride again. From the sound of things, wenesday's episode was good as well. I'm sorry I missed it.

8. George Fogel

George Fogel Agent

I think Malcolm is still well-written and very funny; perhaps we've all gotten used to it's consistently high quality that we're taking it for granted.

As to other shows that hit a similar note, I like "Scrubs" and "The Tick."

9. Jason St Louis

Jason St Louis Stunt Coordinator

Hey fellas i just want to know how long is "Malcolm in the middle" is in the States? Because over here i think the show is cut a little?
    What exactly happen in the episode "New Neighbours" it seems cut a little to the end? does Malcolm get revenge on "Josh" at the end or are your episodes the same as the U.K. broadcasts! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    In closing Malcolm is a funny show. I would put it in the same league with, Simpsons and Family Guy (even though is not animated!)
    Great Malcolm in the Middle pop culture Quote:
    Resse: No one believe me when i got that high score on "Mortal Kombat"!
    Hal: Impossible no one can beat "Sub Zero"!

10. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

I'm not sure if it's cut in the UK or not...

Last nights (Dec 9th) episode was great. The first one this season was weak, but last night made up for it. It was hillarious!