Malcolm In The Middle.....

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JayMacey, Feb 26, 2006.

1. JayMacey

JayMacey Stunt Coordinator

Anyone know what's going on with these?

I purchased the first season on a Blind Buy a few years ago & LOVED it!

Then all of a sudden, I started tivo'ing reruns & new eps since a few weeks ago & have really fallen in love with the whole seris.

I think these new seasons are just as strong as the first. And would LOVE to have the subsequent series on dvd.

Any ideas if this has been dropped or what?

Sony has until the finale this May to make a statement on them, or I'm buying them on E-Bay.

2. Sean D.

Sean D. Agent

They are having some problems with music rights. it may come out, but i agree I am geeting tired of waiting.

3. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

4. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    The problem is that a lot of people have lost interest in this great show. It's been moved around so much on the schedule and arguably stayed on the air too long. And now the DVD releases have dried up. That's all bad for business.

5. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I agree. This is an example of a show where the stories got less and less appealing, as the child characters grew older.

I was thinking about starting a thread about this very subject. I was curious as to what people think is the ideal duration for a series. Obviously, it's very subjective.

My favorite shows have tended to be between three and five seasons. For me, shows that run longer tend to become repetitive and I often lose interest -- with a few exceptions (Cheers, Law & Order, NYPD Blue). I think everyone would agree it's better for a show to call it quits when the producers decide, rather than getting canceled -- especially without enough notice to create a decent finale. Far too many shows just limp along, losing viewers, waiting for the inevitable cancelation.

A list of our favorite shows that have been canceled too soon would be very long. But how about a list of shows, considered popular or acclaimed, that lasted past their prime -- missing the opportunity to bow out with some dignity? A few examples I can think of: Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, M*A*S*H, Dallas, Beverly Hills 90210, The X-Files, All in the Family, Knotts Landing, Murder She Wrote, That '70s Show, Magnum P.I., 7th Heaven.

For me, these shows became redundant, often "jumping the shark" (literally! -- in the case of HD.) Although I may have enjoyed them at one time, they are the type of shows that I have little interest in collecting on DVD, at least as complete series.

Any thoughts? Would this make an interesting topic for its own thread?

EDIT: I found this website that lists shows that have at least 160 episodes: http://www.angelfire.com/trek/proutsy/

6. Jerry R Colvin

Jerry R Colvin Stunt Coordinator

I might have agreed last year, but the episodes this year have been very, very funny.....

7. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    Well, the show is ending at the conclusion of this season and perhaps nostalgia for the show will help any possible future releases. People take a show for granted and then miss it once it's gone. I really want more releases of this show but I'm not sure how well the first season sold. I would think surely it appeals to young people who make up a huge chuck of the DVD buying public. Although it's possible that the only thing holding it up is music rights.

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I agree that after a few dry seasons, this season has been right up there with the first two.

9. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I'm not 100% positive, but since it's on Fridays now, it's probably not getting the best ratings ever. It's a curse, Fridays almost never work for a Fox show, and I don't think they want to spend the effort on bringing out a DVD if the ratings are not that good. I liked the show, bought the full season the day it came out. I want to have the complete series, as this is the last season. Let's cross our fingers that Fox will wise up.

Ryan

10. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

Fox has released Wonderfalls, Firefly, and Tru Calling, and I think a few other cancelled shows, so surely MITM, with its multiple season run, will eventually see DVD.