Malcolm in the Middle - Series Finale

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nicholas Vargo, May 14, 2006.

1. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    Did anyone watch the final episode of "Malcolm in the Middle" tonight?

With all of the talk about "That 70s Show" going away, it seems like everyone forgot that Malcolm was leaving as well. I know this show has had its ups and downs over the years, but you have to admit that it was always one of the funniest and most creative shows on the FOX network, even though it didn't hold a candle to "Arrested Developement," which the network treated like a drunk uncle.

Anyway, the final episode reminded me why this show was so clever in its comedy. Malcolm was graduating, his older brother had a future in being a school janitor, the younger brother was messing with toxic waste, the oldest brother was secretly working in a cubicle, and the parents wanted Malcolm to be President of the United States. It was a good mix. I especially liked it when the toxic waste blew up in the van. Yes, it was immature and disgusting, but I thought it was funny anyway. I also liked how the show ended just like it began with the music in the pilot when we first met the family, although it played differently, which was what made it work.

Also of note, creator Linwood Boomer was back as well, and not just as a creative consultant. Although he didn't write the episode, he actually directed it, and I felt like I was back in the first season while I watched the final episode.

Did anyone else watch...or did everybody miss it?

2. AlbertA

AlbertA Stunt Coordinator

I did but didn't now it was the finale, until the last 5 minutes or so. I said, wait a minute, this is the final show...

Funny as always, I liked the way it ended.

3. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas Second Unit

I only saw the last half of the show, I've drifting away from MitM for a while, but was glad that I got to see how this show ends.
    I'm surprised that they wanted to make Reese into a Janitor, They should have pushed Reese into Cooking while Dewey with his music. Reese had the potential to be a world class chef (maybe work for Malcom at the White House) anyway, I'm glad it ended on a high note.
    Alot of dencent shows are leaving.

4. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Wow, I missed it! Bummer.

5. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

After the last episode, I'm wondering if we never knew the family's last name???
    Neither my wife or I could think of it for the life of us and that would make sense given the feedback from the mic when the principal was introducing Malcom. Otherwise, what was the point of the feedback...

Rob

6. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Malcolm's family name was revealed in the pilot episode by way of a quick shot of a name tag. You had to be quick to see it. From that moment on, the last name has been kept secret even when doing so meant using contrivances like the mic feedback. It's been a great running gag.

All I remember is that Malcolm's last name begins with a "W".

Wilkerson, perhaps? That rings a bell.

7. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Yes. Their last name was also revealed in one of the bonus features on the season 1 dvd. (And you didn't have to look or listen carefully for that one.)

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I think that was made by a third party, so I'm not sure whether it was really canon or not. It doesn't really matter, if so, they're just as perceptive as the rest of us.

It was never on at a good time, and seasons 3-6 sucked, so I ended up missing most of them. I've spent the last week catching up with episodes 7x10 through the finale, just now. Season 7 is right up there with the first two in my opinion. Like "Scrubs", being forgotten by the network was the best thing that happened to it. No more contrived guest stars or plotlines. Just great gags that really comment on the cruder facets of modern life, often with some real heart albeit skewed by that cynical "Malcolm" perspective.
    The finale was wonderful, especially when everyone just took it for granted that Malcolm would be the next Abe Lincoln. Then with people actually responding to his speech, and the flash foward to show characters who have really developed and matured over time - yet still, unmistakably, them. Dewey turning Jamie onto a life of crime, Reese making Craig's life a little less pathetic, Francis making something of his life (and letting Lois have none of the satisfaction), then finally seeing Reese as a janitor, then Malcolm as the janitor at Harvard, and understanding how much love is really there. Suprisingly enough, despite how often horrible all of these characters often are, I can't think of any other comedy with a family that was actually a family.