Malcolm In The Middle Of Limbo

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Cathy Suzan, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Cathy Suzan

Cathy Suzan Stunt Coordinator

Next to Mary Tyler Moore, my other favorite show is Malcolm In The Middle. I know that there are music rights issues involved and that this is holding up the release of season 2. Is there any news at all on the second season dvd release? In Living Color was quoted as beeing a music rights nightmare, but it seems that this issue was resolved. Is Malcolm In The Middle next??? Let me know. So far it's been 2 for 2 for me on shows i liked only having 1 season released.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

The second season was as good as the first, and I'd love to have it on DVD too. Fox knows the demand and sales are there, unlike Mary Tyler Moore, so there's hope.

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

As long as TMBG's incidental music is intact, they can replace all the pop music for all I care.

4. Michael_CPC

Michael_CPC Agent

I've been watching this show since it came out, and is definitely on my list of DVDs I want.

5. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I'd get at least the 2nd season... after that, the show started to go downhill... but those first 2 years were just hilarious stuff.

6. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I think the second season was actually better than the first. Love the "Traffic Jam" episode -- just all-out Malcolm at its best. I have to disagree with you on the third season though, Robert, there was no decline in quality/humor. I think the decline was season 4. And they're on 5 now, correct? I haven't seen but one or two episodes this season.

I hope for the love of God season 2 comes out soon. I've been waiting for this for -- what -- a year and a half now?

I hope they get the music situation straight. I'm guessing they used a lot less TMBG and a lot more Top 40 stuff starting in season 2? I know for sure they were using some big songs by season 3. In the end, I can't see music clearances ever damning this show from release. I see though that they've certainly caused quite a delay.

7. Chris:L

Chris:L Supporting Actor

if In Living Color was a nightmare for music rights... and they somehow resolved it... what's keeping up The Wonder Years?

8. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Well, I didn't like when the boys started to get too old.

9. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

A completely different list of music--with their requisite artists, publishers, labels, etc.--to make deals for. I could see this being an issue if the exact same music was in both series, but since we're talking a completely different set of songs the one being releases has nothing to do with the other.

10. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

I loved the first two seasons. I considered buying s1, but since I've seen the decline in the show the last few years, I've given up the idea of buying the show at all. I dropped it off the Tivo SP, too.

11. Wezzo

Wezzo Second Unit

I was sure they used just as much TMBG music in S2.. evidently not.

12. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

This does seem to really be held up. It seems to me that if a little company can justify the cost of getting all the music for Freaks and Geeks cleared, Fox should be able to get it for MITMS2. They'll probably just end up replacing it all though.

13. Ben_@

[email protected] Stunt Coordinator

Season 2 is killer material. I didn't even realize they were up to season 5. The show is already showing its age. Fox was really gambling on Malcolm when it came out, now they may lose out as the kids get too old and the plots get too stretched out from the original formula.

I felt kind of cheated that they have a Malcolm retrospective covering seasons 1,2, and 3 in the first season DVD set. They even included footage from those seasons reminding me of all the episodes I don't have.[​IMG]

14. Michael_CPC

Michael_CPC Agent

I've actually found the later episodes really interesting. I don't remember many other shows that have been able to come up with funny material corresponding to the characters ages as they grow up. To me it makes them seem more multi-dimentional and less boring.

15. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I agree that the first couple of seaons were great but the recent years have turned me off of this show. Any scene with francis just drives me crazy because its not funny anymore. I will buy the first few seaons and then probably stop.

16. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I love the first 2 seasons and pretty much don't bother watching anymore, they lost my interest a couple seasons ago.

17. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

There is hope. Someone on another board posted an excerpt from an interview with John Stanley, from Fox Home Entertainment in the UK, and here's the part where he talks about MITM:

So clearly there is a good chance of the second season coming out sometime.

(Note about King of the Hill: from that quote I can't tell whether he means that music rights are holding up KotH Season 3 or if he's talking about music licensing being the reason why KotH didn't come to DVD until last year. Since he said "in the past" I assume he means the latter, though, especially since it was the first season DVD that had the Beach Boys and Barenaked Ladies music.)

18. John*P

John*P Second Unit

I hope Malcolm in the Middle: Season 2 is out by Christmas...

Fox says they have bigger priorities to release other shows before Malcolm, but since Season 1 is already out, I'd say MITM should be a pretty big priority. They recently released In Living Color: Season 1, which supposedly had some music difficulties. And they're releasing stuff like The Bernie Mac Show, COPS, The Simple Life...even Two Guys, A Girl and a Pizza Place. I wish they'd get on the ball with Malcolm, already. The fans are struggling

19. John*P

John*P Second Unit

Here's some info from a site called Digital Spy about possible future Malcolm in the Middle seasons on DVD...

This was published Friday, January 14 2005

So far only the first season of the show has been released on DVD in the States; (Frankie) Muniz explained that ongoing negotiations over royalties were to blame for the lack of additional releases.

"We have a lot of original music for the show and when you come out on DVD you have to pay all the musicians," he added. "We don't want to change the music for the DVD because that's part of the show. So they're going through some stuff now for a couple of the other seasons."

Not exactly new info, but the last sentence of the second paragraph keeps me optimistic for the future of Malcolm in the Middle on DVD.

Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds18335.html

20. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    I loved the first two seasons, and then it became a cartoon. Still amusing, though.