What's new

Malcolm in the Middle coming to DVD (1 Viewer)

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I got this set today.
There's no good reason why the episodes on this disc couldn't have been presented in their original 16:9 ratio (which is how all the episodes have been aired here in the UK).
As noted above, the disc comes with a funny 3'20" section about "widescreen bloopers", introduced by Bryan Cranston. He tells us that the show is shot in 16:9, and that the production generally try and make the best of that ratio, but that they have a saying on set when deadlines get tight: "FHD - 'Fooey' Hi-Def" (sic), which basically means that "it's good enough for the bulk of viewers, watching in 4:3".
The section is a compilation of clips (mostly from the Pilot episode) which show examples of shots where light stands or other film-making equipment - or crew members - is in view on the edge of 16:9 shots. There's also one 4:3 clip of a crewmember handing one of the cast something, to prove that the mistakes don't only happen in the widescreen version.
Needless to say, despite this, I'd rather have the added benefit of increased resolution, and the ability to see the 16:9 compositions (when they're not pushed for time!)
I hope this doesn't set a precedent for other shows (specifically other Fox shows). There are similar mistakes in many widecreen episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, but I'm sure there will be blood on the streets if Fox released those in 4:3?! But, hey, what does it matter - it's "only television", right?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
hope this doesn't set a precedent for other shows (specifically other Fox shows). There are similar mistakes in many widecreen episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, but I'm sure there will be blood on the streets if Fox released those in 4:3, right?! But, hey, what does it matter - it's "only television", right?
People in England bitched about it, but honestly, Joss' prefered ratio for Buffy is 4:3. Therefore I would not complain

JulianK

Supporting Actor
People in England bitched about it, but honestly, Joss' prefered ratio for Buffy is 4:3. Therefore I would not complain
The fourth season of Buffy is available in the UK in 16:9 format, and it looks just fine, thanks. Do you think that Joss signed off on that? I do! What do you think will happen when that - and subsequent - seasons are released in the US?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They will be 16:9 in the US as well. Just because Joss prefers 4;3 doesn't mean he minds 16:9

It's obvious that Malcom had a lot more problems adapting to the ratio than Buffy did

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I hope this doesn't set a precedent for other shows (specifically other Fox shows). There are similar mistakes in many widecreen episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, but I'm sure there will be blood on the streets if Fox released those in 4:3?! But, hey, what does it matter - it's "only television", right?
No, it's not only television, which is why providing the show it's its proper aspect ratio, whether it be 16x9 or otherwise. Those who cry bloody murder when 4x3 television product is released in it's OAR instead of formatted to their widescreen televisions are no more than the yuppie equivilant of J6P.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Not clear what you mean by pushed for time, but I think it's obvious that atleast the first season was composed for 4x3. Wider isn't always better. And a 16x9 DVD wouldn't offer any more resolution, it would offer exactly the same resolution, just used in a different fashion.quote:
Sorry if I didn't make things clear. The show, from the beginning, has been shot in 16:9 ratio. The US 4:3 transmissions and the new DVDs present a cropped image. Modified from its native format. Not OAR.

Whichever way you look at it, presenting something shot in 16:9 in 4:3 ratio will result in an inferior picture.

The first couple of episodes look pretty grotty, certainly much worse than they looked when they were transmitted in PAL 625/50 16:9 here in the UK.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Just got done watching every single episode. (I'd missed a surprising number of Season One episodes!)

All I wanna know is how Bryan Cranston didn't win an Emmy for his work here. The guy's freakin' hilarious.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
How the heck does a show like Malcolm in the middle get released on DVD and yet NO FREAKIN' BEVERLY HILLS 90210!?!?
:angry:
Cmon Fox...10 years of episodes...it is carrying your FX station...release the darn things on DVD so I can get rid of all my VHS tapes...
That indeed will make a merry Christmas
dan

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
it is carrying your FX station
I don't have cable, so I wasn't even aware it is running there. But perhaps that is your answer right there as to "why no 'FREAKIN' DVD yet?"! Don't you think ratings at FX would drop off if people could buy a home video of 90210? :D
All this stuff is a series of business decisions, in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks