What's new

Malcolm in the Middle coming to DVD (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's also worth noting that both of these shows are produced by Twentieth Television for the Fox Network; I wonder if Fox might have a little more trouble doing a home-video release for a show that they produce for one of the other networks.

As I said above, though, I wouldn't be surprised if Fox saw the amount of money that first "X-Files" set made and started pondering how well they could do if they could get shows like that on video as quickly as they do movies. The big question now is, how many other studios are thinking of moving to a (relatively) rapid-release paradigm for TV programs?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I hope quite a few. It seems to be working well in England, Europe, and Asia.

How many episodes are in Malcolm's first season?

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I will most definately be purchasing this. I think it is one of the most entertaining shows on right now.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Wow, those extras do look good. That pushed me into the "will purchase" camp for sure.

Gosh, I think I've got more TV on my plate for the rest of the year than movies!!

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Hmmmm.... 1.33:1.
I didn't have an HDTV way back in the days of season 1, so I thought maybe that was the OAR. However, the fact that the extras include "widescreen bloopers" makes it look otherwise. :frowning:

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I've only ever seen it in 1.33:1, so that's OAR for me. I think 1.33:1 for TV product is perfectly acceptable.

Gord

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I believe that Malcom was only shot in widescreen second season on. A friend of mine knows Bryan Cranston and when I asked that question thru him I believe that was the answer I got

Brenton

Screenwriter
I will definately pick this one up, but not before Christmas! I'll be dead broke until then, what with The Simpsons Season Two, E.T., Spider-Man, The Lord of the Rings, Attack of the Clones, and the Back to the Future films coming out this fall!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It looked fine in 1.33:1 here, so no worries from me. Besides. If all the important stuff is crammed into the 1.33:1 frame, with vacant wings, then I'd prefer 1.33:1.
Also, one of the listed extras is "Malcolm Vision widescreen bloopers," which leads me to believe they shot 1.78:1 but didn't protect for it.
Regardless, this is a must buy for me.
Malcolm in the Middle Cover (TV Shows on DVD.com)
EDIT: Changing an embedded image to a text link. The site's webmaster sent me a very polite and reasonable email explaining his bandwidth situation -Adam

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I believe that Malcom was only shot in widescreen second season on. A friend of mine knows Bryan Cranston and when I asked that question thru him I believe that was the answer I got
Seems to me this is similar to the "Buffy aspect ratio" problems.

I saw Season 1 widescreen but didn't see any "bloopers". Mind you I wasn't looking for them, so I'll be interested to see this extra.
But if they shot for full screen, fair enough.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Gord, did the press release have the release date on it? Amazon's listing doesn't show the release date, or any other details. I think that's what's got everyone so concerned!

Kelly W

Second Unit
The feature that would have sealed the deal for me would have been to have the They Might Be Giants music video included or maybe even a featurette on the incidental music they created for the show. So as it stands, my enthusiasm for the set has been greatly diminished.
TMBG was what brought me to the show in the first place and I've stopped watching it since they stopped writing the music.
Too bad, but at least I can spend the money on OTHER DVDs, eh? :)
-Kelly

Gary_E

Second Unit
If this has been disclosed already, I apologize for this post.
Regarding the aspect ratio of the coming release:
From DVDFile describing the SPECIAL FEATURES section.
Quite interesting is Malcolm Vision, an atypical explanation of why the show creators decided to shoot 1.78:1 widescreen and then format to 4:3. Would you believe the show has been so poorly composed and shot that many scenes are unusable due to the appearance of boom mikes and the director's head bopping up and down in the frame? (Try to get it right in the future, guys, as this show might really benefit from being opened up for 16:9 televisions.)
-Gary

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I would definitely buy the first two seasons (only one stinker in the first season - the robot episode). Last season was so bad, though, I gave up watching halfway through the year. I'll check it out this season to see if they fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks