Malata question?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles M, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

Does the Malata have both decoders built in? DTS and Dloby Digital. Can't tell by the website. Anyone who has this player please respond. Thanks, Charles
    ------------------

2. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

well, I'm looking at mine right now from across the room and it's got both the Dolby Digital and DTS logos smacked on, so I'd haveta say yes. [​IMG]

3. Charles M

James, does the DTS logo have digital out underneath, or does it have digital on top of DTS and sound underneath? With most players w/built in DTS decoders, normally that's how you tell.
    ------------------
    The only dumb question is the one you never ask....

4. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

charles,
    the logo has "digital" above and "surround" below the DTS logo. I'd never noticed any patterns with the logo before.. I finally just to be safe decided to flip through the material that came w/ my dvd player, and sure enough it specifies having dts decoding on board.
    With all my players I'd always let my receiver do the decoding so I'd never paid much attention to the decoders built on board.
    (hmm...avdeals' web page for the malata specified the dts decoder was on board as well)

5. Charles M

Thanks James. The reason I ash is because I have a Denon avr1700 with not DTS. I'm thinking of purchasing that player anyway. Why not kill two birds with one stone. I just don't if the players decoding will match up with a receivers capabilities. I'm trying to do the cheapest upgrade to get DTS before I do a receiver upgrade until next year. I might have to get some more feedback on this. Thanks
    ------------------
    The only dumb question is the one you never ask....