What's new

Malata & Progressive Scanning Question (1 Viewer)

Sarah S

Second Unit
My basic HT setup used to consist of a Tosh-2109 & a 27" JVC tv. I hooked everything up using the red-yellow-white cables & never really had any problems with any of my discs.

Now, I have a Malata 520 hooked up to my JVC (I plan to buy a better tv somewhere down the line) with similar red-yellow-white cables & am noticing that I'm getting a weird "halo" or "rainbow" effect when there is too much detail in a picture (a character wearing plaids or polka dots, intricate stonework in the background, etc). Nothing too major, but it is slightly distracting.

Now the question: Is this because of the progressive scanning? Is my tv just not able to handle that? (I thought it wouldn't make much of a difference in picture quality) Is the flaw within the discs themselves? In the transfer? Most importantly, will this go away if I get a widescreen tv able to handle progressive scanning? Or is this just the fabled "Edge Enhancement" that I am just now noticing?

As you can tell, I'm kind of confused.

You cannot display a progressive scan signal without a component (blue-red-green) video connection. The connection you're using is called composite video (yellow cable). Your DVD player and TV must also be progressive scan compatible. I assume they aren't unless you have the aforementioned blue-red-green connections on both units. It sounds like your sharpness setting is too high, as it is with most TV's out of the box. If you really want to get the best out of your home theater, buy a calibration disc (Video Essentials is what I use). Having too much sharpness actually adds too much information to the display and can show an outline around objects. Do a search on calibration and you'll find more than enough info. For now, try turning your sharpness on the TV and the DVD (if possible) all the way down.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I am surprised the progressive DVD player gives a poorer picture than the older DVD player going to the same TV using the same yellow video cable.
It is true that the video from a DVD is fundamentally component video and composite video is constructed in the player as a convenience, but the new player must be doing a poorer job of constructing it.
If you don't have component jacks on the TV, try an S-video cable from player to TV while leaving the yellow jacks empty (keep the red and white cables connected.)
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Robert Cook

Stunt Coordinator
William Lane wrote:
Allan Jayne said:
If I'm right about the comb filtering problem, then using S-video should solve this problem, because the color is kept separate from the main picture information, so the TV should never confuse one for the other. It's not that the new player is necessarily doing a bad job of generating a composite (yellow cable) signal--it may in fact be doing too good of a job! :)

Sarah S

Second Unit

This is my thinking...but I'll have to get a hold of a calibration disc eventually, so I might as well do it over this issue before I get a S-video cable.

Another thing is my tv menu doesn't show a sharpness setting...it shows bright, tint, picture, etc which I have been adjusting; but then the picture looks blah & overly green. Most likely it's just I'm too well used to a high brightness level, but that's another thing that the calibration disc should help me figure out.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Calibrate the set is a must, and the expense for Avia or VE is well worth the $. You also can/will use it for setting up your full HT system if that comes to be.

Do a search here for (Malata), as a ton of info has been written "on and about" the player. I am just *assuming* the 520 is the one that all were raving about last year and soon became unavailable or difficult to get with the latest software up-grade. Im sorry the model # escapes me now.
But if thats the player you have, it's capable of doing many things you may not be aware of and some that might help in your current problem.

Also what model# JVC TV are you connecting the Malata to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks