Malata N996 Owners Do I need ext. warr.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickRHave, Jan 20, 2002.

1. NickRHave

NickRHave Agent

I have a N996 on order and was wondering if I should get the extended warrenty on it? ANyone who has used this player please help me decide. Thanks

2. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

The N996 comes with a one year warranty for both parts and labor (some cheap players only have one year on parts, only 90 days on labor). My feeling is that if it lasts one year chances are it'll last at least one or two more, and after that it'll be obsolete anyway. I have two N996s. They are not the best built machines out there, but are better built than most of the lower cost Chinese made players, such as the Apex units. The first Malata got a lot of use over about a four month period. It runs a little hot but has never given me any problems other than the known problems with the original firmware. The second player with the upgraded firmware does not run overly hot. It is now my main player (only had it since Christmas Eve) and the original is in the bedroom where it gets a lot less use.

So in my opinion, extended warranties for this type of device aren't worth it, but really it boils down to your comfort level. If you're going to worry about it, get the warranty if the price is reasonable (which it is, at least through AVDeals where I got my units).