What's new

MALATA and Region Free questions. Please help (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi guys,

I want to go Global baby!!! Sounds like the Malata 996 is the way to go for region free/multi region and best PAL to NTSC conversion.

Any other suggestions? and most important:

anyone know the going price of a Malata 996?? US or Canadian... and what is the difference with a Malata 900R???

Thanks in advance!

DavidY

Supporting Actor
There are at least two Canadian online dealers for the Malata N996. They are: NBT Electronics Link Removed and AV Deals http://www.avdeals.ca
I believe that NBT currently sells it for CDN$409 plus applicable taxes (there was no PST for BC residents...probably no PST for those outside Ontario) and FREE shipping via Canada Post's Xpresspost. AV Deals Canada is selling it for CDN$399. Not sure what taxes are charged. Probably FREE shipping too.
A cheaper alternative may be the Daewoo 5700. But I am not sure how the 5700 compares with the N996.
So far, I have been happy with the Malata N996 (bought mine from NBT recently...it has the November 9, 2001 firmware). Lousy remote and the cryptic menus are my pet peeves.
Dave

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The main knock on the Daewoo unit is that for its PAL-->NTSC conversion it's taking out every 3rd line instead of every 6th line, so it may look a little wider than normal.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I have the Daewoo DVD-5700, and I like it quite a bit. It's a great little player for the price I paid (NTSC conversion is pretty good, if you're going to be buying a lot of RCE discs in PAL then you may want to go with the Malata N996 or a modded JVC XV-S60/S65. Personally, I'd get the modded JVC unit if you're going to be using this as your primary player. Information on where to get a modded JVC is available on AVSforum. For some reason I just don't trust the Malatas for use as my primary player. :crazy:

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Rolando, the 900R is an interlaced player and the 996 is progressive scan. The 900R is also Macrovision free and is probably better for Karaoke (if that's your thing!) since it has independant mic input volume controls and echo and key control on the remote (the 996 has a master mic volume, echo on the front panel only and no key control).

Overall, I'd say the 996 is certainly worth the difference in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks