What's new

Malata 996 Upgrade (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
My Malata 996 has served me very well for a long time, but it has been developing DTS dropouts in the last couple of months.

I don't have the latest firmware, which I understand solves the problem. But how does one get this done?

If you have had this work done, or know who to contact, please post your info. I'm sure I'm not the only person in this forum who would benefit from this info.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Bleddyn

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Thanks, Jeff.

I wrote HKflix yesterday. They were unable to help, as they had never sold the actual 996 model.

Also - isn't it only a certain inital run with an adjustment that can just insert the CD? Don't the rest actually need a bit of soldering? I seem to recall that when I got mine from avdeals, they were still modding the machines to make them auto multi-region, but no longer installing "the switch" which made the machines upgradable by simple cd.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Wow - thanks, John!

I've also got a lead on someone we know locally who is apparently good with a soldering iron!

I notice that the non-adaptec instructions at the bottom just cut off. Are they missing anything, or is that it?

Also, what is adaptec? I'm more a mac person who used PCs at work, and I've just not heard of it.

Thanks again

Bleddyn

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Adaptec makes SCSI and IDE controller cards for things like controlling DVD-ROM, CD-ROM and Hard Drives

in this case I think they're talking about your CD burning software

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Thanks, guys.

Last night I followed the "non-adaptec" directions, and created an upgrade CD. I seem to have done it right, because the Malata recognized the disc as an upgrade disc. It couldn't actually do the upgrade though, cos i believe I need the soldering work to be done first.

Getting there!

Bleddyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks