Malata 520 query

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Thron, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Phil Thron

Phil Thron Second Unit

I'd appreciate some input from those who either have the new Malata 520, or have experience with the 996 since they are essentially the same.

My situation is this: my old and trusty Toshiba 3109 has been showing its age of late and I want a new player. Now, my receiver doesn't have a DTS or DD chip for decoding, but this was okay because the 3109 at least gave me DD 5.1 and I've been happy enough. I also have a Toshiba 50" Theaterview (4x3) TV, which has been great for lo these many years, but of course isn't progressive.

So...much as I'd like to do a new receiver and player both, I can really only afford one component right now, and I'm leaning toward getting the Malata 520 for several reasons. At this price range the PAL/NTSC conversion seems to be about the best value, and for my current situation, I can maintain DD 5.1 and even get the added bonus of finally having DTS. Not to mention how I am drooling over finally getting discs from all over the world...

My question for the learned and experienced here is this: can I expect at least comparable image quality going to the Malata? People seem to be fairly pleased with this product, but it will have to be my main player for a while. I don't mind arcane menus so long as everything is accessible, but I'm most concerned with standards of image quality and compatibility...and from what I've read in the threads I've searched so far, there don't seem to be compatibility issues.

Any advice before I take this plunge? Thanks in advance...

2. MarcW

MarcW Agent

3. Phil Thron

Phil Thron Second Unit

Thanks, Marc. Have you had a chance to check out the image in interlaced mode? With my TV I won't be using Progressive Scan, and my input will be via S Video cable.

As I said, I don't mind the menus so much...but I'm pretty sure my wife isn't going to be happy with having to sort through too many screens. I've heard that there isn't a way to save settings...does the player at least default to the settings you last used?

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

No, the player doesn't default to the last settings used (at least not in the firmware I have, a new one is in transit). This is my biggest complaint with this machine, however if this is your primary player and you calibrate your TV to the player you will be fine. I have been watching interlaced, and it looks fine (I have a progressive TV, but the old firmware doesn't support it - this is fixed now). PAL conversion looks great.

The menus aren't cryptic at all, though some of the settings (for zoom and pan) are a bit odd.

5. MarcW

MarcW Agent

Phil,

Yes I did use the player in interlace mode when I first got it. As Jeff has mentioned the first firmware had a bug in it and didn't support progressive. The only word of caution when using an s-video connection is that you have to set the de-interlacer to Still for PAL discs. In progressive even PAL discs work fine in Smart mode.

-MarcW

6. Phil Thron

Phil Thron Second Unit

Thanks guys. I'm just about ready to commit to the purchase; I'm just hoping to hear some other experiences folks may have had so far.

Jeff, did you use a disc (Avia, etc.) to calibrate your tv to the player?

Marc, thanks for the word of caution about the S-Video cable. That's the kind of thing that could drive you crazy if you didn't know what you were looking for, and though I would probably try everything to get things working, I wouldn't be likely to set it to "Still" for a disc until I was completely out of other options...

7. Phil Thron

Phil Thron Second Unit

Thanks guys. I'm just about ready to commit to the purchase; I'm just hoping to hear some other experiences folks may have had so far.

Jeff, did you use a disc (Avia, etc.) to calibrate your tv to the player?

Marc, thanks for the word of caution about the S-Video cable. That's the kind of thing that could drive you crazy if you didn't know what you were looking for, and though I would probably try everything to get things working, I wouldn't be likely to set it to "Still" for a disc until I was completely out of other options...

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The situation I have is that my set (Toshiba TW65H80) has only one calibration setting, and I'm sharing the progressive input with my other player which the set is calibrated to (manually rewiring before use). If I was using the Malata as my only player, I could adjust on the TV side at the player's default.