What's new

Making your own subwoofer cable (1 Viewer)

DanMU

Agent
I saw this in a thread: "Or he could make his own with RCA cable and Radio shack F to RCA adapters. That's what I did with my DLS. It works great and it was a fraction of the cost of a "real" cable. It's also easy and cheap to make large runs this way. Many people on the HTF have recommended this option."

What is an F to RCA adaptor? I have some RCA male plugs that you solder onto coax, and I've had them for years. I used to make my own RCA cables for audio. Can I just use those? Can I use run of the mill coax, the type used for TV antennas, cable TV, etc.?

If I do this, the outside of the RCA connector will be attached to the sheathing of the cable (the shielding part). Is this desireable?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Any audio RCA connector should work fine for the sub.

The "F-to-RCA" adaptor is for people without tools who buy a 25 ft section of CATV coax with the "F" connectors already attached. Screw on the "F-to-RCA" adaptor: instant sub cable, no tools needed. (Although I recommend using pliers/wrenches to tighten things.)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
PS: Audio cables are not as picky, but when you get to Video - things change a bit.

Chris White's website is a great page showing exactly what coax, cables and tools to use so even fumble-fingered guys like me can build HD capable video cables or long subwoofer cables.

Dan, since you have some technical skills, you could even do this without needing the special stripper. But I DO recommend the proper hex-crimp dies for the $20 crimp frame. Having the coax/plugs/stripper/hex-crimp dies all designed to work together helps make up for lack of skill.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks