Making your own screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jeff Gibbons, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Jeff Gibbons

Jeff Gibbons Agent

Has anyone had any experience making your own projection screen? I've seen the material for sale on Ebay at around $50 for a 106" screen.
    You would need to build the frame yourself, but this would be a huge moneysaver if it was decent.
    I have no idea if the material is any good or not, but it might be worth a try as a temporary solution before I plop down the cash for a "real" screen.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

ALot of people use things like Parkland Plastic from home depot or Blackout cloth from Joanee fabric.
    I myself just painted over my white painted dry wall with a paint mix from AVS forum and used trim for my border. Works great .....[​IMG]

3. Michael Pineo

Michael Pineo Stunt Coordinator

I made mine out of blackout cloth like Chad mentioned. I am happy with the results. Here are some screenshots if you are interested. I know that screenshots are never entirely accurate, but it should give you a good idea what to expect from this type of fabric.

Screenshots

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

There are zillions of ways to make your own screens, visit the screens forum.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Look at me, there I go again, getting the forums confused. :b

6. Aaron_*P

Aaron_*P Stunt Coordinator

There's a seller on ebay named moakes (means speedy in latin), I purchased great screen material from him with a 10 page instruction booklet on making the frame. Complements my infocus 7200 great!

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    As mentioned there are many ways. I made a fixed hard screen and painted, other use material from a fabric store (often you can get a shade that is good out of the store and project on that without painting), and still others buy the screen material from the screen manufacturers like Draper, Stewart or Dalite.

8. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit