Making your own DVD covers

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Henry, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
    Before the snafu with the database, Ron started a thread for making your own DVD covers...

I didn't get a chance to read that thread and would love to make some covers for some DVD's of TV shows that I am burning...

Can we get some of those responses?

Any how-to's out there?

-Mike

2. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

What do u want to know?

The basics:
    a high end photo editing software package - paint shop pro, etc.

An ink jet pritner that puts out at least 1200x1200 dpi. The higher the dpi the better output. I use an Epson 880i and the covers look amazing.

Any scanner will do in my experience.

Your best bet is to take a look at dvdcoverart.com as they may have a cover already available.

Chet

3. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

4. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

If anybody uses Microsoft Publisher, I have a template for that. It's pretty basic. Anyone interested?

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I asked this in another thread and was referred to a discussion at the dvd talk that I couldn't understand. Can anyone give me basic instructions on taking a snapper cover and resizing it to fit an alpha case?

Also, how is Adobe Photoshop Elements to use?

6. Will_B

Will_B Producer

How easy is Adobe Photoshop Elements to use, you mean?

Adobe is generally intuitive (all their programs are, not just Photoshop and PE), though if you rely on intuition entirely you will still be learning new things you can do with it three years from now.

About converting snappers, just take them apart and then...
    Did you check the FAQs over at dvdcoverart? There is important info for how to scan.
    Then...using a template (available there), you will see where the "front" goes, where the "spine" goes, and where the "back cover goes".

Ten hours later, instant new cover.

7. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

8. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

And, with Photoshop... What are the ideal settings? length, width, dpi, etc.?

9. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott

10. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

To print these out at home (on an inkjet), what's the best "slick" paper to use for the cover?

11. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Recently I have had to make a change with printing my covers. I had a friend print them out on a huge printer that handles rolls. The paper was around 40 lb which made it nice and heavy. But all good things....

So for about 2 days I searched the Internet for paper I could use in any printer (i.e 8 1/2 X 14). Mostly I ran across nothing heavier than 24 lb. But then I found Hammermill. I found it here at Staples. I had to order it and since my order was under $50 had to pay additional $8. I was concerned that with 96 brightness, it might be too bright or the 28 lb weight would not make me happy. I printed them out on a color printer at work. OMG!!! They came out better than I could have imagined and better than my friend had ever done for me. I placed the covers in keepcases and laid 3 custom covers (2 Bonds and one Hitchcock) beside 3 real DVD covers. My wife was able to pick out the real cover only once. And even then she admitted she guessed. I have since printed out over 150 covers, redoing some earlier ones and catching up some others. Over 1100 DVD's on my shelves and still... NOT ONE DAMN SNAPPER!

[​IMG]

12. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Frank, are you using that paper on a color inkjet, or laser? Just curious, as it LOOKS like plain-ol-copy paper. Or maybe I didn't look close enough at that page. [​IMG]

I'm currently using an Epson glossy paper (not sure which one...I'm at work.) It's the best paper I've used yet, and gives phenomenal results ... but a cheaper option would be nice...

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    so how nuch ink do you go through at home printing out these covers. as ink for epson is about 20 for b & w and much more for color.

14. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I use Epson SuperA3/Super B Photo paper which is 13" x 19". I cut it into two 13" x 8.5" pieces. My covers print out very nice. I use PSP to edit & print out my covers.

15. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

TonyD:
    It's hard to say exactly as I burnt through my first Epson cartridges trying to figure everything out. If I had to guess I would say that for the 2 - $25 cartridges(quill has good prices) I printed out roughly 60-70 covers. It definatley is not cheap but the covers look amazing!!! None of my friends can tell the difference.

Andrea W:
    Slick paper is irrelevant in my opinion because the covers are always placed behind plastic. I've tried both and have yet to see the benefit of "slick" or glossy paper.

SvenS:
    " would hardly call Paint Shop Pro a "high-end photo editing program"! PSP is a entry level program."

I guess what I was trying to get across was that you cannot simply open up these 300dpi pictures in any program and get 300 dpi print out quality so you need a "higher" end program than MS Paint.

Frank:
    Thanks for the link. I'll have to try that paper out. I've been using the "tape 3" of extra paper to the 8 1/2 X 11" method but that is a pain.

Chet

16. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

17. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

18. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

"Really Chet? I used to use an Epson matte paper in my inkjet (Epson 880), and thought the covers were great. UNTIL I switched to a gloss paper. The difference was quite noticable, at least to me."

Yea Tony, That is the exact model(Epson 880) that I use. I tried the slick/glossy paper and then tried the matte paper(Kodak photo quality-can't remeber the name). After putting them in cases I really could not tell the difference.

Now, there is huge differences in the print quality between heavier paper versus a lighter paper from my experience.

What gloss paper do you use?

19. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I have tried that very same paper that Frank is now using on my inkjet. After printing at the best quality, the paper gets kind of a wavy or ripple thing going, that's visible even inside the cases. I think the paper would be fine if it was a little heavier. Inkjets may lay down more ink than a laser. I also think my prints "pop" more with glossy paper.

Those are the results I have been getting on my HP 722C anyway. Different printers may vary. I sure wish Kodak would bring back its legal size glossy photo paper. It looks like it's back to cutting up the 13x19 Epson sheets for me!

Ric