Making XLR balanced cables?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Chris L, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Chris L

Chris L Auditioning

So I just bought a B&K ref 50 preamp and need to connect it to my Adcom 5800. I want to use balanced interconnects because I can, don't really want/ need to debate the performance difference. [​IMG]

I think I have decided on Neutrik XLR plugs and Canare L-4E6S cable. A few questions:

Which Neutrik plugs do I want to buy, they make quite a few different versions.
    Who was the best prices on the cable and the connectors?
    Are there other cables/ connectors in this price range that I should consider?

Thanks!

Chris

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Neutrik is good; they're one of the industry standards as far as manufacturers go.

For convience, I got the "Easy" connectors (NC3MEZY & NC3FEZY) which are self-"crimping." I hate solder connectors for XLR; I've just no where near enough practice with it to be good. I believe they also make a screw-terminal version.

If you're only making a few, of course, a good solder connection is hard to beat.

We got ours from Markertek; I'm not real fond of their shipping schemes, but,

Leo

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Forgot about the cables. We're fond of WireWork's WireLux cable. $100 for 500' reel, in one of ten colors.

It is one of the easiest cables to handle; it's incredibly flexible, but doesn't want to tie itself into a knot.

Don't know if there are any other vendors handy for them, though.

Leo

5. Chris L

Chris L Auditioning

Phil:

Those vampire connectors sure do look nice.

Leo:

I don't mind soldering, if I botch it up I have a few people at work that solder for a living. As far as the wireworks cable, does anyone sell it by the foot? Right now I only need to make 2 - 6' cables.

Chris

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Chris,

The quadstar cable is really overkill for your application. I’d go with the two-conductor L-2T2S. It isn’t really any cheaper, but it’s much easier to work with.

Don’t know if you’ve ever worked with this cable or not, but the shield is brutal – really tightly wrapped. I suggest getting a small jeweler’s screwdriver and grind the tip to a point. It’s the best thing to use to pick the shield apart.

Can’t do better than Canare, but there other comparable brands, like Belden and Mogami. I prefer Switchcraft connectors to Neutrik; they’re easier to work with.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt