Making the plunge into (lowlevel) HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel_I, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Daniel_I

Daniel_I Auditioning

Jul 31, 2001
    I've finally decided to take the leap and buy some equipment. I'm not looking to spend _too_ much (my budget is pretty anaemic compared to some of you), but I don't plan on going too low-end, either. I think I've decided on the JBL NSP-1 speaker setup. I'm leaning towards the Onkyo 595, or the Pioneer vsx-d810s for the receiver. I don't know what sub; I guess I'm leaning towards one of the JBL subs, just to match, but I dunno for sure. Just a few questions I had:
    I'm thinking of buying it at J&R, partially because they currently have free shipping on JBL products (until tomorrow). I know they price match, and I get the impression you can haggle with them a little. How low should I try to be going on the speakers? They're listed at $299, and I've seen them for about $275 a couple places. Would J&R likely give me a bigger discount if I bought a bunch of stuff together (speakers+sub and/or receiver)?
    Any comments on the receiver? Anyone know offhand the differences between the pioneer 709s and 810s? (I looked at J&R's site, but it's missing a bunch of info on the 709) I assume both the Onkyo and Pioneers will work well with the speaker setup?
    Regarding the JBL subs, I assume they're decent? I know the PB12 got pretty good reviews at audioreview, but I don't have too much info to run with here.
    Would the PB12 be worth it over the PB10 in a smallish room (long and narrow)?
    Thanks for your time, and sorry if this got longwinded...
  2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Feb 15, 2001
    Great choice on speakers. Lots of people here have paired those speakers with the Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer, which is widely considered to be one of the best bang-for-the-buck values if you're on a tight budget. I think both the JBL's are better subs, but they cost more too. If you have a Best Buy near you, you could go listen to all three, but be warned, they're usually pretty horribly set up. For instance, I bought the Sony, partly because I just needed something to fill in the lower octaves, and because in the shop it sounded better than the JBL PB-10.
    I've never tried to haggle with J&R, because for the stuff I've bought from them (vinyl accesories), no one else has better prices.
    You might try the Pioneer website if you're looking for product specs/comparisions.
  3. Jon D

Jon D Stunt Coordinator

Sep 29, 2000
    I have an older JBL 10" sub that's probably pretty close to the PB10. In a medium sized room I can get bass response down to about 26Hz, but the volume drops dramatically after about 33 Hz. It can kick you around, and it works fine for me, but if you can spring for it, get the PB12. Two inches more never hurt anyone.
    Women are often attracted to men with money and power. I have neither, and they know it.
  4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I also bought some JBL N-26AW speakers from J&R so that idea I can second. As for the receiver, I bought a refurbed Denon 1801 for less than $200. If the idea of buying a refurbed item doesn't bother you, take a look on Ebay or Ubid(they come with a 90 day warranty) to see if they have any for sale. I've found that the warmer sound of the Denon unit matches very nicely with the JBL Northridge line of speakers... Good Luck!!!
    Take Care,
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!
  5. Glenn Baumann

Glenn Baumann Stunt Coordinator

Mar 31, 1999
    Check out this nice little speaker setup for only $600.00
    If you want a complete home theater setup I would sell the above complete speaker system AND a mint Denon AVR-3200 85 watts x 5 receiver AND a still sealed in it's carton brand new Panasonic RV-80 DVD player all for $1000.00! So in a nutshell, you can buy a complete home theater setup including a receiver, 5 speaker satellite system with sub and a DVD player all for just $1000.00. This setup is well matched, like new and really does sound terrific, just ask around about these components! I would love to see this stuff go to a good home and I would be willing to demo and maybe even deliver, set up calibrate if you were serious as I live in the New York metro area! E-mail me if you would like.