What's new

Making the most of my JBL sub (1 Viewer)

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I recently purchased a whole new set up. Onkyo receiver, Z3 projector, Graywolf screen, OPPO dvd player, JBL Speakers. But after all of that there was not much left for a good sub so I ended up purchasing the JBL 12" sub. I believe it is the 250P, it is the 12" model.

It seems to hit one ( and only one) note very well, everything else is to be desired. I plan on getting a new sub next time ( another svs or possibly IB) the tax man comes around but until I need to make the most of this one. ANy tips or tricks of what I can do? I had thought about dropping in a new driver, would that work? If so, what would work?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Changing to a better sub will certainly get you some benefit, but if you’re getting that “one note” thing, it means your room has a peak in response at that frequency. A new sub won’t help that. What you need to do is equalize the subwoofer. Check out this Forum for lots of great information.

BFD/REW Forum

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A new driver will not help at all, as the driver would still need to have similar specs to operate correctly with that amp and box. JBL's lower end subs aren't that great. What exactly did you pay for it? Can you return it? EQ may help, but it isn't going to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
The sub was only $250 but I have had it for 3 or 4 months so I doubt I could return it anymore. I will consider an e/q.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
John’s right, the low end JBL’s aren’t anything to write home about. However, last year I reviewed a couple of comparable 12" subs from Velodyne and Infinity (which is made by the same company that owns JBL), and found that they could get down to 25 Hz in smaller rooms (about 2000 cu. ft. or less – be sure and calculate all areas open to the HT room when making a determination). You probably won’t get the detail you’d get with a more expensive sub, but that isn’t nearly as important for home theater as it is for music.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Wayne, I think I remember reading the reviews. Like I said, after the projector and everything else I was down to pocket change for the sub. I owened a SVs 25-31 cs back when they were first out and loved it but had to sell off my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks