Making the jump, need a little help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan PGC, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Nathan PGC

Nathan PGC Auditioning

Alright, my wife has finally given me the go ahead to buy a new TV, up from a 19" TV with just regular Composite plugs, no S-Video. However, I'm in a bit of a bind as to what I should purchase. Here's my situation:

My primary use for it will be for hooking up my GameCube and Xbox, and watching DVDs on the Xbox. (I'll be purchasing a separate DVD player somewhere down the line.)

Ideally, I'd like a 32" or bigger screen, because when we do buy a house in a few years, I'll be going all out on getting a much bigger home theater system, so I don't need to get to big of a TV at the moment.

Our Budget is between $500 - $800. Throw a $50 Best Buy Gift card on top of that if I need to go there to buy the TV, which is where I've been looking at most of the sets.

One of my first questions would be: If I'm looking at a 32" flat, and a 32" non flat screen, and glare isn't an issue, is it really worth the extra few hundred dollars for a flat screen? What would be my best picks for both a flat or non flat screen? I'd be using Component cables for either TV, so would it really make that much of a difference to go flat?

My wife liked the idea of a 32" non flat for $500, so that's why that's in the picture here. However, if I'm going to settle on a 32" non flat, and I want to keep it around $500 to save us cash, would it be worth it to go with a 27" flat instead of a 32" non flat screen? Is going from 19" to 27" all that impressive?

Whew..that's quite a bit of info to wade through, so I appreciate all tips and advice you guys can give me.

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    In your price and size ranges, you might want to check out the Samsung Tantus 27" HDTV(!). Best Buy has it for $700. I haven't seen it myself, but it sounds like the TV to beat given your criteria.

IF you could get a 32" w/ 16x9 mode for $500, then that might be worth considering instead. But I doubt such a TV exists unless the 16x9 mode is hidden in the service menu, which is possible.

FWIW, I jumped from a 20" to 32" ~5 years ago--just bought a 53" HD RPTV. I think that's a good jump because 2.35:1 widescreen movies will have picture height only ~10% shorter than the screen height of a 20".

So on the one hand, the Samsung 27" HDTV is nice and should give unbeatable PQ for the price, but OTOH, the extra 5" might give the needed presence to 2.35:1 movies. It could be a tough choice. I suggest bringing a couple of favorite DVDs w/ you to try them out at the viewing distance you want to use, and make sure to turn on 16x9 mode for the demo. It might be tough to gauge in a big showroom floor like at Best Buy, so you might end up using their 30-day return/exchange policy.

_Man_

3. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

Nathan,
    After reading your post,I have a couple of questions. What are your viewing habits? Do you watch more TV or DVD's. What "type" of DVD's do you own/rent (WideScreen or FullScreen)? Is HDTV available in your area?
    Samsung has a nice 27" HDTV-Ready TV for $699.
    Samsung
    I would not buy a TV larger than 27" that didn't have 16:9 Enhancement mode for DVD viewing. The Enhancement mode only works with "Anamorphic,& Enhanced for 16:9" DVD's, which most "Widescreen" titles include. To learn more about this feature look HERE
    Hope this helps......Randy T

4. Nathan PGC

Nathan PGC Auditioning

Thanks for the tips so far guys,
    I usually only watch a couple shows a week, then a few DVDs, and more games. Almost all of my DVDs are Widescreen when it's available, not many, if any, are fullscreen.
    We've looked at that HDTV Samsung, and have thought about it, but we have our eye on the 27" Sony with the 16:9 enhanced mode. At this point, I don't think that HDTV is something I neccesarily need, as I'll be upgrading to that once we get a home.
    So at this point, we've pretty much rounded it down to 3 TVs since I've posted this:
    27" Sony Wega with 16:9 enhanced mode - $500
    32" Sony Wega with 16:9 enhanced mode - $800
    or a 32" non flat screen. We're looking at Panasonic, Toshiba and JVCs, as they all have component. They all go for about $500.
    My wife really wants me to save cash and go for a $500 TV, but I've really had my mind set on a 32" TV for quite a while, so it's a bit of a bind. If we go for a 27" we're definitely only spending $500, which leaves out that Samsung you guys are suggesting.
    Of course, if my credit didn't get shot when I was in college, I'd probably just put $500 down on the $800 TV and then pay off the rest in the next two months with Best Buys no interest financing, but that's a whole other story. [​IMG]
    Any suggestions on the comparison of the 32" flat and not flats? The 16:9 compression isn't too important, and if there's not much difference beyond glare, I might just go with a 32" Panasonic with no flat screen.

5. Nathan PGC

Nathan PGC Auditioning

While I'm on topic, what about this Advent 32" Flat screen for $600? Best Buy Advent
    Anyone have any experience with this TV? It doesn't have the 16:9 Enhanced that the Sony does, but it is flat and does have Component. It's not as expensive as the Sony either, which my wife likes.

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Well, if you sit far enough, the 16x9 mode might not make a big difference to you. I could "see" what I was missing at ~9' eye-to-screen distance, but I didn't usually feel like I missed much. I don't personally know anybody else who noticed the resolution loss on my old setup though--Toshiba DVD player to Toshiba 32". Certainly, jumping from 19" to 32" is already quite nice.

If you do go w/ a $500 32", I'd suggest the Toshiba instead of Panny. The Toshiba should have color temp setting while the Panny probably does not. This should help give you more natural colors at home--use the Theater/Movie mode. Also, one TV might have a better comb filter than another, but if you don't watch much regular TV programming, then that might not matter.

Have no idea about the Advent.

_Man_

7. Gregg_M

Gregg_M Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I purchased the 32 Wega last year for our living room. We have since moved and have my 53" in it's place as our everyday TV. That being said, the Wega 32 is a fantastic TV the flatscreen really cuts down glare and video games on it are great. If you can swing it go with the sony. It will also be a bit more flexible as you someday make your way into true home theater.

Gregg

8. Nathan PGC

Nathan PGC Auditioning

Well, I'd love to get the 32" Wega, but we might not be able to swing it at this time. So at the moment, I'm between the 32" Non flat Toshiba with component to get a bigger screen area, or the 27" Sony Wega for the 16:9 enhanced with a flat screen. The 32" Sony is still in there, but I may have to pull some strings to make that a possibility.

Thanks for all the tips so far, and any other comments are appreciated. I'll be picking this up the weekend of my birthday (January 12th), so it's not too much longer now!

9. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Nathan,

If you are dealing with a $500 price target and really want to stay with that I'd recommend the JVC 32in D-series set. Mine's a couple years old and has been a great analog set. It's not flat but it's nearly flat. The picture is very, very good. It certainly would be a vast improvement over the 19 in you have now. I think you'd be happy with it for the price/quality. I also don't know if the new ones do the squeeze or not, but that's not a big factor for me. I got mine at CC. I certainly would recommend you at least look at it before making a decision. I believe Sears is carrying it as well. Good luck.

Bob

10. Gregg_M

Nathan,

When you go into Circuit city et al. Try and get an open box special. It has worked for me several times when buying expensive electronics. You just might be able to afford or pick up what you really want.

Gregg

11. Nathan PGC

Nathan PGC Auditioning

That reminds me of my friend that went into Best Buy looking for an open box special:

The sides of the TV casing were cracked, nothing wrong with the tube itself, so they dropped down this 36" Wega to around $1000. When Best Buy delivered it, he recieved a brand new one, and when he went back to the store, the open box one was still sitting there with his name on it for reserve.

I'd like to go to Best Buy for my TV, especially since I have a $50 gift cert there, and have asked for more for my birthday. Hopefully I can swing the 32" Wega.

12. Gregg_M

Nathan,

Got any hints for my "boys" on Mario Sunshine. LOL It looks great on the wega