What's new

making some cabinets.. (1 Viewer)

Stephen Matthew

Stunt Coordinator
i am in the process of building some front speakers using car audio equipment.. best i can do and the only thing i know about to be honest, anyways.. im trying to figure out how well my low end will be handled by this setup... i am using some 1998 model jbl gti 800's for the lower end, not expecting any real massive bass out of them, just looking for sound quality. cant have anything too loud in my paper thin apartment anyways... I am using Bassbox Pro 6.0 to plot out my box design and it looks pretty well to me, but as i said, im a car audio guy and dont have the slightest clue how this would work in a home environment. will this sound good??

this is with 1.2 cubes tuned to 36hz, 13.5" of port area, slot port..

also, the t/s specs on the sub are:

fs 48.49
qes .309
qms 2.5
re 3.6
vas 17.95l
le 0.49mH
mms 34.13g
bl 11.33
xmax 7.1mm
sd 206 sq cm
qts .533

. its nice to have friends with Dumax access :D

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I think a swooping response like that is going to lend a "boomy" sound to your sub. However, just plugging those T/S parameters into ISDONLINE show that a 1.5 cuft ported box is the optimum box size and it draws a flat response down to around 35Hz.

So, I guess you're about right.

I don't know jack about slotted ports... so, I can't help you there.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I put those parameters thru WinISD Pro and the plot looks exactly the same as yours (1.589 cubes tunes @ 36.47Hz). I tried tweaking a little here or there but really can't get to much out of it. You will need a little EQ tweaking to get that dip out between 150 - 40Hz.

But it should do fine for paper thin walls.

Stephen Matthew

Stunt Coordinator
thanks!.. just basically worried about my first home audio cabinet i guess.. anyone have any tips on making this box as dead as possible?
I am making it out of 3/4" mdf braced internally of course.. box will be rock solid, but i dont want it to be too sharp.. the upper portion will house some 5.25" mids as well as some BG ribbon tweets.. i was thinking that if i were to line it with some sound deadening mat(have tons of Edead v2, 60 mil deadener) as well as some polyfil, that would hopefully kill any peaks in response caused by the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks