What's new

making RCA patch cables (1 Viewer)

Kevin Conway

Auditioning
Hi. I'm trying to cable my upstairs living room off of my 2nd AV output from the receiver in the main room (downstairs).
I need a 75 ft run of audio L/F & video RCA cables. I'd like to make these myself from a bulk reel of the appropriate cable.
1. What type of cable do I need? Is it straight coaxial?
2. Do I need a different type of cable for the video signal?
Thanks in advance. I'm probably getting the cable @ Home Depot or Radio shack, any other suggestions are welcome.
Sincerely,
Kevin

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
You can also use 75 ohm coaxial stuff for composite video and audio too if you like. You can get stuff like Canare at www.markertek.com and www.haveinc.com among other places. If you don't have the tools required you may either wish to have it made for you or gets stuff that can be soldered or can be better crimped with generic tools. If it is not a super critical quality application you are looking at you can terminate with 'F' connectors and get 'F' to RCA adapters if that is easier. You may wish to look at Chris White's home page for instruction and sources.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Kevin
Always run a couple extra strands when you do. It saved me a lot of work and trouble and does not cost a lot.
I use the F to RCA from RS and they work fine.
Niles sells a plate where the f screws onto the wall side and it has a female RCA recepticle for you to use with an interconnect.
Grant
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks