1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Making my own cables - question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tom_furman, Aug 2, 2001.

1. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

i have made my own speaker cables - bought some quality 10ga wire, fastened on gold connectors at each end, and bought sleeves to label them all.
    now i would like to do the same for my cables...buying pre-assembled cables is way too much. i'd love to spend $140 for a 12ft cable but i think that money would be better spent on newer equipment.
    my question is: does any place sell kits, or lengths or cable and connectors so that i can spend my time assembling them and saving some $$ too?
    i'm looking for a high quality insulated cable, even if it costs a few $$ more, and some good quality crimp RCA connectors. what/where did u guys use?
    i've seen the name belden floating around for like $.40 a foot, woth connectors like $4 a piece...thats my more style [​IMG]
    [Edited last by tom_furman on August 02, 2001 at 09:51 AM]

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  3. Dennis Kindig

Check out DIY Cables . They sell kits based on Jon Risch's interconnect and speaker cable research. There is a link to Jon Risch's site on their site.
    Jon Risch's designs are supposed to equal or beat cables/interconnects costing MUCH more. If you have questions he can be found on Audio Asylum's Tweaks/DIY forum, et al.
    I will definitely be using his recommendations when it comes time to redo all of my interconnects.
    Dennis
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Dennis Kindig on August 02, 2001 at 11:31 AM]

4. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Another brand to look at is canare. I have made all my own cables (except for some s-video). Canare can be found at www.markertek.com
    Use either LV-77S or L-5CFB. If you want to use one cable for everything, use the L-5CFB. It is rated to handle any frequency in the HT range. Canare also has true 75ohm RCA plugs. You can request a catalog from canare's website which will give you info. on all their cables and uses.
    The only downside is you need the proper tools to make your own cables which can set you back $200 easy. (ie. canare wire stripper, crimp tool, etc.)

5. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

thanks brian...thats more of what i was looking for...
    so do the majority of the people here agree that the canare L-5CFB is the way to go? any other brands/models that would be even better?
    [Edited last by tom_furman on August 02, 2001 at 02:27 PM]

6. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Tom,
    I'll save you the wait. I did alot of reading and research and I think it's safe to say that canare and belden are the only 2 manufacturers widely used by the DIY crowd.
    It's also safe to say that the L-5CFB is the best "one cable does it all". I think belden has a similiar item but most people seem to have gone with the canare.
    I have made cables using both the LV-77S, GS-6 (audio only) and the L-5CFB and I can't hear or see a difference. The LV-77S is a little more flexible becuase it uses a stranded center core while the L-5CFB uses a solid core but I have no problem routing the L-5CFB.

7. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale