making my jpg's smaller

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ted Lee, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i noticed that when i right-click am image and choose "send to mail recipient", it asks if i want to make the file size smaller. it goes from like from 3mb to about 30k.

1. what is my pc doing to make the file size smaller? is it just reducing the image quality or something?

2. is there a way for me to do this myself? i guess it must be in the os somewhere?

thx!

2. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

1)yep, reduces the quality to decrease the size of your images if you choose to do so.

2) not sure.

3. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

You can do this with a image editing program such as The Gimp (which is free) or Photoshop (which costs a bunch of money). For just resizing an image, GIMP works just as well as Photoshop.

You can make the size of the file smaller by changing the dimensions of the image, or by setting it to a lower quality level (or both of those things).

4. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

i was under the impression that he knew that but was looking for something built into XP, which, as far as i know, there isn't anything.

just sticking up for my #2's "not sure" comment [​IMG]

5. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Not sure about it being on the OS but using Paint Shop Pro 7 when clicking on "save as" for your pic, you can click on options and adjust the compression factor, which in turn will make the image lose some quality but reduce the file size.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Anything with a bicubic resize or better will suffice.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint

Open image in Paint and go to Image > Stretch/Skew and do 20-50% for both values under stretch.

Save image As...

See if that'll do.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I use a freeware program called "IRFAN" which is versatile enough for quick-n-dirty image re-sizing/re-compression/etc.

8. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Even my Windows 98SE came with a standard MS program called Photoed.exe. Don't know if it comes with XP.

Taking my downloaded digital camera pictures from 500Kb to 1.2Mb in size, opening them in this application and then simply saving them typically reduces the size of the file by 75%. This is not reducing the size of the image, I might add.

What is it doing? I don't know for sure.

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

file that under, "you would be correct sir!". [​IMG]

thx guys. i didn't think about paint, i'll give that a try. otherwise i'll look into some of those shareware apps you recommended.

i think i want to keep the same physical picture size, just reduce the file size to make it easier to send, etc.

10. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

maybe not reducing the size of the image, but a 75% reduction in file size would mean that it's taking that away from the image quality.

11. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

wayne - that is perfect and exactly what i was looking for! i already use tweakui, so this goes great. [​IMG]

13. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Yes, I agree Patrick, but not that you would notice on a normal computer screen (for example using as pics in a website).

This is why I always "Save-As" to a different file-name. Photoed.exe also comes in handy as it will also crop or shrink the size of the image as well.

14. Rob Silver

Rob Silver Stunt Coordinator

IE Zoomer. Free, works great for JPEGs (and JPEGs only). You can't do batch resizing though.

15. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    If you want something built into XP all you have to do is right click on a picture thumbnail or file, select "Resize Pictures" and it gives you some preset options. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it's what I do on the fly. I use a program called "Easy Thumbnail" for anything more complicated, but just as quick.