Making M&K S-150 THX system 7.1

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John Menoni, Feb 16, 2005.

1. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

I am finally completing my M&K S-150 5.1 system. I love the dipole sourrounds (SS-150s). I do want to upgrade the system to a 7.1 setup. The only problem is that I don't know what to use as the rear direct radiating speakers. Do they have to be 4 ohm speakers like the rest of the system? Can I get away with M&Ks select certified surrounds? Not sure.[​IMG]

2. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

In a ideal world you would have speakers that match the rest of the system. Meaning two more 150s for the rear two speakers. However with them not being used as much you might be able to get away with the MK selects. And since they use the same tweeter as the 150s, the drop off of not being the same exact speakers won't be as steep.

3. John Menoni

Thanks Tim. Thats what I was thinking. I'm not that well read as far as the technical aspects of the speakers. I don't know a watt from an Ohm.[​IMG] I was just wondering if it is O.K. to put 8 ohm speakers with a system comprised of 4 ohm speakers. I think my amp will be set to 4 ohm.

4. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

Just think of ohms this way, the lower the ohms the more stressed the amp will be. Mixing ohms is just fine.

5. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

But the 8 ohm speakers will also see less power than the rest of the speakers, the amount will be dependent on amp/reciver used.

6. John Menoni

Hmmm. Maybe I should try and find 4 ohm speakers.