Making it final tomorrow -

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Skip Hammerman, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Skip Hammerman

Ok - Here were the three finalists on my list: Sony KDF-70XBR950 LCD Rear projection, Mitsubishi 65813 and Mitsubishi 73713.

I do like the Sony, however, ultimately the picture quality is better with the Mitsus. I am still torn betwwen the two Mitsus, as I know the picture would be better with the 65813, however, my viewing distance is about 15 feet and I feel that the 73 incher will be a better solution in the long term. If I were to get the 65 incher, I would always wonder if I would be better off with the big one.

What would you do? (I can get the 65 inch for $3100 and the 73 incher for $3800, with the SONY being somewhere around $6k).

2. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

Need more info:

Do you want color accuracy?

Do you mind a less than inky black level?

Are you going to hook up a PC?

If you buy the Sony, will that keep you from being able to afford other things you want for your system?

What is your viewing %?

I just got a 60" Sony XBR. It's not calibrated, but I'm not sure anything is going to make this TV have an inky black level. That is its Achilles heel. I'm still trying to decide if it bothers me or if it is a compromise I am willing to accept. If you want to hook up a PC or XBOX I think LCD is the way to go. If all you ever intend to do is watch TV and movies, perhaps the Mitsus. Unless, you plan on watching a lot of unstretched TV, then back to the Sony[​IMG]

Also, by the time you pay tax, shipping, extended warranty, buy a stand, etc... You'll probably be well over 6 grand with the 70" XBR. Even if you get it mail order without a warranty you'll need a hefty stand. The 70" is a BIG TV.
    I'd budget at least $500 for it. Here's the one I am looking at:

http://www.bigbangelectronics.com/pr...5&pf_id=cr2v64

3. Skip Hammerman

Yes - Color accuracy and decent to excellent black level are important (I know I can only get the blacks with the Mitsus). However, this is not a dealbreaker. Just a consideration.

The money is always part of the equation, I can afford the componenets I need even if buying the Sony. Also, even if I go with the Mitsubishi, I still will need an equipment cabinet to go with it as mine now is a match with my SONY 61 inc XRB. Having an additional 2-3 grand doesn't sound bad though...

I will not hook up a PC or a gameconsole into the system. I watch 90% DirecTV and 10% movies/DVD.

4. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

If you aren't concerned with Burn-In my vote is for a CRT model and save the $3,000.

I know you mentioned Mitsus, but have you looked at the Toshiba 65HX93? This TV was #1 rated in the latest Home Theater.

Of course, a Sony LCD was rated #2[​IMG]

5. John S

John S Producer

I dunno yesterday at my superbowl party, a person I didn't know previous, said he had a Sony 60" XBR, he went on and on about how he liked the picture better on my 60" Philips CRT RPTV to the point of annoyance. (He consumed quite a bit of alcohol too)

I think you would be just as happy or happier with the CRT RPTV, save the cash.

6. Rex Dart

Rex Dart Auditioning

Yes, but that review was a bit unfair, as the Mits tested was the 65513 or 65413 (which is the Gold and Silver series). I'm not sure sure which one at the moment, as I don't have my copy handy. Either way, it was 2 or 3 steps down in series levels to the 65" he mentioned, the 65813 (and 1 or 2 steps from the 73713). ;-) It would have been nice to see the Tosh compared to the 9" gunned 65813 (the one I went with by the way). I went and looked at them (Mits and Tosh) side by side (albeit at a retail store), and found the Mits 65813 had a better picture, but a bigger price tag. However, if you want a nice looking CRT, then I think the Mits is the right decision.

However YMMV

Hope this helps.

Rex

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i have the 73713 and love it.
    my other choice was the 65 but i'm glad i have the 73.
    i have about a 15 ft distance and it looks fine.
    hd looks nearly perfect out of the box.
    dvd took about aweek to come into it self to look ggod.

gregg will be calibrating in march so i'll know then how good this thing can really be.

8. Skip Hammerman

It is final - I ordered the 73713. After comparing the Sony and the Mitsu side by side I had to go with the "better" picture. I also thought that the NTSC sugnal was way better with the Mitsu and let's face it - I will propably still watch a lot of non HD, non Digital material.

9. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    yeah!!!

10. John S

John S Producer

Yeah baby.. a 73" Mitsu!!!! Really doesn't get much better than that. Enjoy!!!

11. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

The picture quality is so close that your see-sawing between three models with as much as $3000 price difference it leads me to two conclusions:

1. If an extra Three Thousand dollars in your pocket isn't an incentive to buy the bigger screen with a known better picture quality...well, I guess you and I have different priorities for the value of $3000.

2. You would seriosuly buy a TV at twice the cost of the other TV to have it match your equipment cabinet?

12. Skip Hammerman

Dear Garrett,

Thank you for your friendly and constructive comments!

1) There are many good qualities about the SONY LCD rear projection unit and while money is part of the equation, I did go through the decision process evaluating all the pros and cons. Your comment insults all of those on the board who have chosen to buy the SONY LCD rear projection unit.

2) I never said I would buy one unit over the other in order to match my equipment cabinet. My point which I guess was not clear enough for you to understand was to state the fact that with both units I would have to spend an additional $500 to $1000 for an equipment cabinet/rack/stand that would be both functional and aesthetically pleasing.

Cheers!

13. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    wow, i sure didnt think garret was insulting. i thought he was just surprised about the 3 tv's you were considerring, because of the price diferences.

14. Dick White

Dick White Stunt Coordinator

Skip, I've been looking at the Mitsu product line and I find myself trying to justify moving up to the Diamond series even though I am considering this as a short term (2 - 3 years) solution. I'm wondering where you found the 65813 for $3100 and what kind of warranty you were able to get.

Wish I had the space for a 73 incher. But my wife sort of freaked out when I got my current 57" set and even though I've tried to prepare her for it, my planned move up to 65" is going to cause more shock waves [​IMG].

Congratulations!!

15. Skip Hammerman

Dick -

The pricing is through a friend of mine who works for Mitsubishi. They have a program, where employees can get one TV per year for themselves, family or friends in order to "promote" the brand at very special pricing. In fact today the pricing was confirmed at $ 3780.60 for the 73713 with delivery and tax included !!! If you net out delivery and tax (6% in MI), the actual price becomes something like $3350 for the unit. Pretty incredible! The warranty is standard manufacturers warranty.

I really feel fortunate to have run into this opportunity.

16. Dick White

That is a great deal. Too bad I don't know any Mitsu employees. IBM used to have a friends and family deal where you could get employee pricing for up to 5 PCs a year, I think it was. I never found occasion to use it except for my own and I don't think they do it any more.

17. Rex Dart

Rex Dart Auditioning

Skip

[email protected], I wish I knew your friend. After Calif State Tax and 5 yr service contract, my 65813 cost me $5300. I guess it pays to know the right people! ;-)

Problem is, now I'm drooling over the new TotL Yamaha A/V Receiver to go with it. Now I just have to figure a way to convince the wife that $4400+ is not too much to pay for a receiver that does everything 'cept do the dishes!

Wish me luck. ;-)

Rex

18. Skip Hammerman

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It is finally here (MItsubishi 73713) and hooked up as of yesterday morning. Stunnig picture right "out of the box" with minor picture adjustments (brightness was at max). I also picked up the Denon 2900 in order to have progressive scanning and the difference with my old set up is incredible (Sony 61 inch XRB and Sony S7700). I also upgraded the DirectTV receiver to the SAMSUNG HDTV unit which is performing great. Using Terk 55 indoor antenna for now for local Digital broadcasts.

BTW, the local Best Buy matched the DirecTV offer for $399.00 for the HD Receiver and Oval Dish installed. I added the Terk or $50.00 (1/2 off)

After the required 100 hours or so, I will have it calibrated...

Thank you for all for your feedback !

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
  20. Dick White

My local BB said they couldn't match the DirecTV offer. Wish I had seen the avsforum thread sooner. My Pioneer PRO730HDi was delivered yesterday, and I'm scheduled for a DTV dish upgrade and new receiver Friday (at $399). Unlikely that trying to negotiate will work at this late date, especially since cable is not at option where I live.