making cooling fans for amps, advice and feedback needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Gregory Scott Bass, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Gregory Scott Bass

Gregory Scott Bass Stunt Coordinator

I have a harmon kardin avr-8000 that gets pretty hot and I have noticed over the years that lots of people have equipment that runs hot and creates concern, I have a small walmart fan blowing on mine right now but its very audible and has led me to try to find something different.

so I have been investigating computer type fans and have made contact with a manufature that can make me some small ac fans that are very quiet...these will have a regular power cord so you could plug it into the back of your amps...I am thinking of some double sided 3m tape to afix the fan over the vent.

so does this sound good to you? I am unaware of anyone that sells ac fans like this so I am basically wanting to get an idea of how many to put together, im unsure of price but I am thinking around 20.00, anyway any feedback would be appreciated, I just did'nt want to make a thousand and then not be able to get rid of them. thanks Scott

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Interesting idea. I just used some of these fans and ran them with a 12V power supply (have lots of these types of things lying around). I was thinking that the next step would be to build a little temperature control circuit that adjusts the fan speed (of simply turns it on and off) when the amp heats up to a certain level.

3. Gregory Scott Bass

thanks Dave, I thought about a thermal unit but then I figured if I could find one quiet and cheap enough then it would'nt matter that much. I think the thing that surprised me was not being able to find one that ran on ac and have a good db level, I did find one at radio shack but the db level was too high and it was expensive...and that did'nt even have a power cord with it, anyway I have a prototype on the way to me now so if that goes well and I get a good response here I will go ahead and order a bunch for everyone. The ones I am getting are suppose to be around 25db but before I say these are silent I need to hook one up and see....my amp is not in a cabinet so it needs to be very quiet.

4. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

The problem with equipment in open cabinets is that the air doesn't circulate well. But it doesn't take a lot of high CFM to fix that. I run my AC fan with half the rated voltage via a power transformer. It reliably starts, but runs slower and much quieter (inaudible even 3 ft away), yet still gets the job done. It sits atop the power amp and blows across it.

5. Gregory Scott Bass

yes I think that is my goal, for it to be inaudible from any listening position, I will post a picture and my impression as soon as this gets here for those interested, from the amount of replies to this however I think I may have over estimated how many people need this.