Making compilation CD's thru PC - wav?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Geoff C, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Geoff C

Geoff C Agent

I'd like to take my original cd's, and record uncompressed, lossless individual songs onto my HD so I can burn as-perfect-as-possible compilation CD's.

Is this as simple as using WAV files? Or is there a better way/format of doing this?

If so, is there software you'd recommend?

Thanks!

2. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

Rip with EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and burn with Nero (use Google to learn how to download the programs). Make sure to use good CD-R media.

3. Kelvin Tucker

Kelvin Tucker Stunt Coordinator

I recommend EAC .

There are lots of opinions on how to best get lossless audio using EAC settings. I must be tone deaf, since I miss the nuances between one setting and the next [​IMG]

KT

4. Geoff C

Geoff C Agent

Thanks, I'll give it a try![​IMG]

5. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator

Just FYI, you can use .wav as well. Recored to .wav at 44.1Khz 16 bit stereo. That's what's used on CDs, so you'll have your lossless recording.

- bones

6. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Er, out of curiosity, what would be another option? I've only used WAV files for this, and he should as well (and not configure EAC to create MP3s).

Just nitpicking... [​IMG]

-Christian

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

There are lossless codecs out there. You store them compressed on the hard drive, and play them from there. When you make a CD, you convert the compressed file back into plain uncompressed CD audio. When/if players start supporting lossless codecs (like they've recently started supporting MP3) you can burn them directly.

8. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

CDex is a good program for extracting audio from CDs. It can also convert the extracted files to other formats.

9. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

If you like windows media player 9 there is a converter on microsoft's site that will convert lossless wma's to wav's.

This allows you to archive your cd's into lossless wma's(much smaller than wav's) and then when you want to make a compilitation you can reconvert them into wav's and burn them.

10. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Flac - http://flac.sourceforge.net - is another good option for storing ones CDs in a lossless format and it seems to be growing in popularity with the new SlimServer/Squeezebox supporting it as well as some other hardware products. I've tested it out along with the Winamp plugin and it works great. I used EAC to rip and then configured it to use FLAC to do the encoding. It does not get as high a compression ratio as a few other lossless tools but it's fast and more importantly it is really fast on the decoding side. In addition it is open source and portable - i.e. you're not tied to using Windows only.

cheers,

--tom