Making cables for Sub woofer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DennisH, Dec 14, 2001.

1. DennisH

DennisH Auditioning

Any experts out there that can advise me on making my own interconnect cables for my PW2200 subwoofer? I'd rather make my own than pay a %500 markup to have Monster make it for me. Thanks.

2. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

Shielded coax should do the trick. If the run is long, you might want to go for multiple shields (I believe the max is quad-shielded). I made some cables with Canare coax and have had no complaints.

-Christian

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

There is little special about a subwoofer cable over an ordinary interconnect. You can buy one of the 20 foot video cables from Radio Shack and use it.

When I was playing around with placement on my sub, I bought a 25' CATV coax cable with F connectors installed and added 2 "F-to-RCA" adaptors. When I finally found the final position, a 6 foot video cable is now being used.

Yes, you can make your own cable and I do love the Canare plugs and coax. But you really need about $200 in tools to do the job right.

Hope this helps.

4. Danny Arborak

Danny Arborak Auditioning

I used Beldon 89259 (coax,with teflon insulation and jacket),then installed locking RCA's on both ends..works like a charm.