1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Making a Win98SE HTPC run faster

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_Stevens, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

I am building a HTPC with Win98SE running on a PIII 450mhz and 256mb of PC133 Ram. HD is a WD 8gig 5400rpm.
    I was using a Hollywood Plus card, but had to send it back because it would not properly play PAL DVDs on my NTSC TV (frame stuttering was the problem) and so I am trying an ATI RADEON VE, which many reports is PAL to NTSC problem free.
    Since I am under software decoding now, what can I do to Windows to free up resources and keep frame drops from happening? Any web sites out there that have tips?
    Thanks
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

2. Dan_D

Dan_D Stunt Coordinator

change your computer's primary role to a network server. also set a static virtual memory size instead of the dynamic one windows has set. (set the min and max to the same number). This will help windows access memory a little faster. also go to your bios and try to run your memory at CAS2. it it works, its a noticable improvement.
    ------------------