Making a "tivo"

Discussion in 'Computers' started by SethH, Jan 29, 2004.

1. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I was considering making my own version of a Tivo using a computer. How difficult would this be? What all would I need to include? I know I would need a relatively large hd and I would also need a tv tuner card. It doesn't need to be very high quality. It's actually for my girlfriend so she can record some shows she has to miss for classes/work. Also, how processor intensive would this be? Would an old Pentium 2 computer work? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Seth

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

If it's a slow processor grab a Hauppauge PVR-350. Here it is bundled with SageTV, a good Tivo-type software.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Thanks for the reply, I'm definitely going to look into that. In the mean time, does anyone know of any freeware/shareware type programs that will offer similar features?

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Remember that often, Open Source Software is free only if your time is worth nothing. In that spirit, MythTV is free and runs on Linux (also free). You may have to spend some time to install it, though.

For a slow computer, you want a card with hardware encoding, like the PVR-350 that Scott recommends. MythTV supports it.