What's new

Making a s-video cable? (1 Viewer)

Kendall Lakey

Auditioning
Just wanted to get your opinion on what parts express recommended that I do. The run length is going to be about 40ft. They recommended using 2 RG-6 cables terminating into F-connectors. Then connect the cables into the back of a plate that converts it into S-video. They said this would work fine. What are yall opinions. Thanks in advance.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
This is what I have

you can click the link in my signature to see bigger pics of my cables.

30' length of two RG-6 with a break-out cable at each end.

I purchased mine at BD Cable looks like a 40' length would run 113.17 + shipping.

I have heard that any old s-video cable would work for that distance. I decided to get better cable instead of wasting $20-$40 on a cable that might make the picture look like poo.

My cable works great and the picture looks as good as having a 3' s-video cable in its place.

Hope that helps

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Sounds better than trying to solder to those tiny little connectors. What a pain!

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
I've done it.
Using about 50' of CAT5 cable, you solder the ends, and either put shrink tubing around the place you soldered, or electrical tape. I used tape because there wan't enough room there to fit shrink tubing.

Works great, and the picture remained perfect.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
for the long-haul transfer cables, I, personally, would never use an F-connector. In fact, I would never, ever use an F- connector for anything if at all possible. Personal bias, I know, I know..

BNCs are fairly easy to work with; I believe there are even some that don't require a crimper.

But I'd use RCAs for a DIY S-cable before I used F- connectors.

Leo Kerr
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks