What's new

Making a dipole speaker... (1 Viewer)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I've got an idea for using 2 AV3 drivers to make a compact dipole surround speaker. Mount the drivers in opposing directions, wire them in parallel and out of phase (4ohm load) and bingo...a dipole speaker. Is it really that easy? Do the two drivers need to have their own "separate" cabinets (meaning keeping them sealed from each other by some kind of dividing wall) or can they share the same cabinet?

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

I would divide. You could also put a high pass filter (60-80hz)on side to help with bass canceling.

Also the loudspeaker cookbook has a page or two about di/bipoles designs.

Tim Hood

Agent
Bill,
Myself and a buddy are interested in having Adire design/construct a crossover for a possible di/bi/tri (?? unsure so far) using the 281 kit, however, this is still up in the air. The cost of the crossover design could be split up amongst whoever is interested to help lower the total cost.
Contact me if this sounds like an idea you are interested in. Keep in mind, the crossover design does not include the price of speakers.
tdh_99(at)hotmail.com
I'm sure you can figure out my built in nospam email feature :)
Tim

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Id like to make tripole surround with an AV8 and Audex tweeter in front and (2) AV3s on the sides running dipole. How about that?

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Okay, I was in a hurry when I posted that. Ill ellaborate.

It is similar to several M&K surround speakers. Ones that have the "tripole" option on them, anyway. I would have a normal, kit81 on the front. On the sides, there would be a pair of AV3s that operate "out-of-phase".

I heard the (similar) design actually worked pretty well. Im personaly a fan of monopole surround speakers, but Im intriged by the dipole sound. It would be great to have the direct sound behind me, while at the same time have a (somewhat) more diffused soundfield.

Is this feasible? I cant figure out how that kind of crossover would look. I would assume that the AV3s would be operation (sort of) in fullrange.

Agh, I dont know. I just like the idea.

Tim Hood

Agent
Scott,
Yes, exactly, those are my thoughts as well. My buddy is not yet sure what he wants to do, but I like the M&K tri's...
I'm not sure how that crossover would look either...but I figure Adire does :) That's why they get the big bucks to do this (actually, its not that much...).
If interested, shoot me an email...we can discuss price so far, interests, etc. I'll get you in contact with all those interested.
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks