making a composite video cable out of RG6?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ace peterson, Jan 17, 2003.

1. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

I wanted to make a cheap video connection for my dad's dvd player to his tv. He is moving the dvd player to a further-away spot in the room and needed a 25ft cable. He would be using the composite video connection. I made one out of RG6 cable with screw-on f-type connectors and then attached f-type to RCA plug adapters. However, the cable does not work at all. But when I tested it at home on a connection from my satellite receiver to the tv it worked fine. What's wrong? It seems to be the connection between his dvd player and tv, but a cheap-o freebie 3ft video cable works fine there. Help me guys...

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

From your description, there's no reason why the cable shouldn't work. RG6 is fine for composite video connections.

Since it works fine on your setup, I suggest you try it again at your father's. Maybe it was just a loose connection.

M.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have used this in previous setups and in my current setup running two sets of component and one composite as well as the store bought s-video cable.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Redo the twist on F-connector joints, or better yet, solder on RCA plugs directly taking care that the braid does not melt into the plastic surrounding the center conductor.
    Very often a coax cable works OK for RF (antenna or cable TV feed) with the braid connection behind the F-connector bad but that defect makes it not work for video.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

Allan-

Are you meaning that the braid (the metal fibers/foil) surrounding the white plastic core, if it's not pulled back can affect the picture for a video but may not affect the picture of cable tv? I wonder if that is not the problem. I will double check that.

MIchael-

No, the connections were tight. That was the first thing that came to mind. It's got to be something with the cable I made.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Ace

PS- Why does the braid affect the picture if it's not pulled back all the way?