What's new

Making a Backyard Ice Skating Rink (1 Viewer)

Todd Smigelski

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen kits for $299, I've seen do-it-yourself instructions...

Anybody here take this project on ?

Looking for:
Known caveats? Worth the Hassle? Do's and Don'ts.

Thanks

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I was just about to start a thread with this topic and then stopped and thought - you know I've been a member of this forum for over 5 years and lurked for a year and a half before that and one of the things I learned is that this place is a wealth of knowledge not just for HT stuff. Anyway, thanks for that website Shayne. I'm getting ready to build my hockey rink this weekend.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
We did it to our front yard at college back about 20 years ago - it was great! We just piled up snow for the edging and started hosing down. Took about 2 days of shifts with people slowly adding small layers. Nothing high tech - I'm sure the sites have better approaches. The only unplanned issue was resurfacing the ice. We wound up using a trash can full of water and a blanket.

Now when it all melts you'll really have a mess on your hands. Make it far enough from construction that you don't get burned with moisture problems.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Thanks for the clean up warning Al. We are actually doing this in a really unique spot. We have horses and stables and such in our back yard and adjacent to that is a riding ring that my daughter, her friend and my wife use to ride our horses. This area is usually not used in the winter so I was going to do it there. It is a sand-based riding ring so the melting process should be a little easier because of the easy drainage. I hope to post pix when I'm done. Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks