1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Makin' some stands, this a good design to follow?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Justin Ward, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Is using a threaded rod nescessary? Could I get away with just a routered hole in the base and top piece to allow the PVC to slip into?

I also put some more coats of Gravel Guard on my test piece of MDF and I am pretty sure I will be using it for the PVC and for my subwoofer enclosure. I am really happy with the results.[​IMG]

2. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

As long as you glue the PVC into the routed ends, or it is a nice tight fit it'll be fine. There is only compression force involved, so even just having the PVC sitting in a routed whole would be OK, but would be a pain to move the stand about as it'll fall to bits.

I'm going to be gluing my PVC into routed holes and concrete filling the base.

3. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

i did a dry run, put together yesterday and they seem a little tall, but look very nice, i am supper happy with them.

I did what Troy R sugested with the MDF guides and they fit snugly and now i don't have to worry if they are dead center.

Last night i put on my first coats of Rustolum Satin Black and i almost pissed my pants, i went on glossy so i was worried all night, but this morrning i checke on them and they have toned down to just what i wanted, i couldn't be happier, although now i can see my minor mistakes with the MDF chipping out on some spots, oh well.

Tonight i will put on a second coat and then tomarrow i will be assembled and compleat.

I won't fill them with sand and glues them compleatly untill i have gotten the highth right. stiil i can't wait, i promis to get those pics up when i am done.

4. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

Justin, I would definitely use the threaded rod. It makes the stand solid from top to bottom. I would especially use it if you are going to put sand in the tube. it will keep the top sandwiched to the bottom so you can move around the stands by picking up on the top plate and keep the bottom from falling out under the weight.

5. Justin Ward

Well I went into town tonight and bought the wood, threaded rods and grey stone textured paint. This set of stands will be surprisingly cheap: So far, here are my expenses(Canadian $$ at that!):
    2' x 4' sheet of 3/4 particle board(didn't have MDF in the right size and thickness I wanted) - $7.00

(4) 5/16" x 36 inch threaded rods - $6(for all 4)

Grey stone textured paint - $9

This is looking to be a very inexpensive project. Partially because we may have enough 4 or 6 inch PVC at home at and that was the most expensive part of the project. We also have all the nuts, washers and other miscellaneous items. Even if I have to buy PVC, the total should be under $60 for 4 stands. That's about $15 per stand

[​IMG]

Not bad at all.

6. Allen Ross

yeah i got mine for about 40 total but that was because i went a little over board with spray paint, and had to buy liquid nails to seel it up. i will post my pictures later tonight when get them up on my site

7. Allen Ross

8. Justin Ward

Those stands look great. What was their final height?

9. Allen Ross

35 inches, i will see what i am going to do with them once i get back from college this summer, as it is now i have no room at school for them so they will be sitting at my house unused [​IMG]

If i can convince my dad to build a HT in our basment they might be used for the surounds but i will see when the time comes

10. Justin Ward

11. Justin Ward

uh-oh[​IMG] I ran into my first construction problem[​IMG]

Me and dad cut the bases and tops just fine with no troubles. However, we cannot cut the PVC. The 4 inch stuff is too thick for out chop saw and our neighbours radial arm saw as well[​IMG] .

Sadly I think I will have to go with 3 inch PVC. I know the saw will cut 3 inch PVC because we cut the 3 inch PVC before when making ports for my DIY subwoofer.

If I have to go with the 3" PVC should I be sure to put plenty of extra weight near the bottom?

12. Allen Ross

I used our radial arm saw, and made three cuts very carfully so it gave me a nice falt suface.

13. Justin Ward

I will try your suggestion Allan. If it doesn't work, it's off to the store for 3" PVC. I am going to go with the two piece bases like you have as well. I think it really improves the looks, plus particle board is dirt cheap.

14. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

I cut my PVC on a table saw (had to spin the PVC around to get all the way through). See if the hardware store will do it for you...

I should have pics of my completed stand this week sometime. It seems to be taking forever! Staining and Poly, is VERY tedious!

15. Allen Ross

yeah i had to buy the 4x2 MDF and had no other uses for it so i said what the hell, mind as well use it all up.

it shouldn't be that hard on the table saw if you use both fences

16. Justin Ward

Well tonight we put edging on the particle board to cover up the coarse grains visible from the side. I set one of my Atoms onto the top piece meant for it and the fit is great. I snapped a few pics of my sub and the beginning stages of my stand construction.

17. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

I FINALLY finished mine. All I need to do is fill them with sand. here is the link to my pics. you'll have to follow the link to the DIY stands. Sorry about all the pictures, and the resolution (cheap camera!)

Let me know what you guys think!

http://www.angelfire.com/alt/tryrrthg/index.html

18. Allen Ross

looks very nice

19. Justin Ward

Got the rest of the particle board tonight along wth the PVC. I did a quick test putting the cut pieces of particle board and PVC together to get a quick idea of the look. So far it looks great.

20. Justin Ward

Troy, those stands looks awesome. The wood/stain choice really compliments those speakers.