What's new

makin a list, checking it twice... (1 Viewer)

Fong

Stunt Coordinator
...before i start ordering stuff.

getting a 24" x 5' section. will prolly make it ~4' tall (shooting for ~10ft^3)
tempest
ava250
single input cup (binding post)
12ga home depot wire
4" flared port (getting a pair of these)
64oz. of polyfil
and mdf, plywood, glue, and all that other good stuff.

am i good to go? hopefully i didnt leave anything important out...

and i have a few questions to boot:

should i order the stuff for a tempest now, or is the stryke av15 worth the wait (being released on dec. 14 i believe)? if i do preorder the av15, i'll get the stryke 350 amp on preorder too. there is a small price difference between the tempest and stryke if you preorder. preorders end oct.14, so plz try to answer before then.

do i have to use PRs w/ the av15? that will raise the price by quite a bit, and i dont know if i can do that. couldnt a pair of 4" flared ports work? i modeled it in winisp and it looked ok w/ the pair of ports. i used the same enclosure for the tempest i modeled, at 340L. from what i've read, i dont think im pushing it to its limits w/ a 350W power supply, but i like the idea of being able to upgrade later.

is there a difference, performance-wise, between the ava250 and the PE 300-794? if its not significant, then i can just get the PE amp and save some cash.

thanks for any help i get.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The Stryke has to add shipping costs making it $30-35 more than a tempest, but it's up to you whether it's worth the extra money and wait. The PE amp was measured at a bit over 280 watts if I recall and is only $120 which is what I would get.

"getting a 24" x 5' section." Is that wood? If so you'll need more than that. Took me 2 full 4'x8' sheets of 3/4" MDF.

For the single input cup (binding post) I recommend the parts express heavy duty cup #260-311.

12ga home depot wire (I use the Home depot Carol superflex C1364, 3 feet was enough, works great, use shrink wrap or silicone if you want to keep the copper ends insulated)

4" flared ports by precision are what I used.

64oz. of polyfil (At walmart they sell 5 lb boxes of premium polyseter stuffing for only $7.50. You can also buy them in 20oz bags for $2 each.

I used yellow glue/liquid nails and 3/4" MDF from home depot. Screws for the brace, bondo to plug any holes, and sand paper. You'll need legs, I used epoxy and a dowel nub to glue mine. Clamps unless you'll be using a nail gun or screws. I used some solder for wiring, and I got a 12ft Dayton Subwoofer cable #181-642 from PE for $11.70.

The performance differences between the AVA250 and PE-300-794 are not significant if you do a search. I would save $60 and go the cheaper route.

Good luck, I think you got all of it covered.

Fong

Stunt Coordinator
oops. im getting a 24" x 5' of sonotube :P
thanks for the reply. i think i will go w/ a tempest + the PE amp now, and upgrade later if the av15 is significantly better.
i'll get something for legs, maybe i'll make some w/ left over mdf.
very unique looking subs you made there. i like 'em :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks