makeshift transducer

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Billy Posey, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

I have a an old subwoofer I that I use to have in my car and I have and old pioneer elite pro logic receiver. I am thinking of taking the sub out of it's cabinet and attatching it to the in side of my riser hoping that it will rattle and vibrate the riser on loud bass heavy scenes during movie watching. What I am asking has anyone in the forum done anything similar or if you guys think that it will work.

Also I built two large entertainment cabinets that about 71 inches tall, 21 1/2 inches wide, and 24 inches deep. I built into a wall of my theater but only ended up using one of them. I've been thinking about turning the unused one into an enclosure and putting either two or three 12 inch or 15 inch subwoofer. I know there is more involved than just slapping the subs in their, I just want opinion on whether this sound feasable or not.

2. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

if the cone is firing into the wood, youll kill the cone relatively quickly. and i doubt the motor structure is pwoerful enough tath you could jsut attacth the VC to the stage.

3. Zachery-C

Zachery-C Extra

That wouldn't work too well. Use the aura bass shakers if you want that purpose. They are cheap too, at partsexpress.com. Also, I maybe, a better purpose would be to turn one of those entertainment cabs into a IB sub with 2 tempests, titanics, atlas, or quattros. Use a 15in for better bass...

4. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

thanks guys

5. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Without moving some mass it's not going to create any vibrations. Here's a really old thread where I give assembly instructions on making your own TT. It's crude, but fun.

These driver-based TTs take up a lot more room than something like an Aura bass shaker though. So that's something else to consider.

6. nic

nic Auditioning

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but i am wonering if someome could give me their opinion...
    i've got 2 12" 25w woofers laying around, how well would these (or would they not) work, Im not trying to rattle a huge area, just the foot end of my bed (which is where i sit when watching movies)

Any opinions would be great [​IMG]

Nick