Makeshift sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven_B, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Steven_B

Steven_B Agent

I am just starting to build a system, and have two 10 inch speakers. I have replaced them with a some satellites. I will not be able to get a sub for some time, however in the mean time can I use my old speakers for my lows. I mean can I get usable bass from hocking them up to the B front speaker outs. The old speakers have external crossover controls. If anybody has a better way please let me know. I would try this out myself but my receiver blew, and I'm in the market for a new one. Thanks guys

2. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Well right now I’m using tower speakers with 12" woofer as my sub because I sold my old one and I'm saving up for a shiva. I have successfully hooked my tower speaker up to my surround sound receiver using an old stereo receiver as a pre amp. I was surprised how well it sounded. I would suggest you try it. If your new receiver has a pre amp subwoofer out you should be in great shape the only other thing you will need is a separate amp to power your 10" speakers. The only real problem in temporarily using these speakers for bass is if your receiver does not have a LFE (Low Frequency effect) out then you would need to purchase a separate subwoofer crossover to block th high frequencies from the sub. I hope this helps.
    Ryan