1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Makeshift sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven_B, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Steven_B

Steven_B Agent

I am just starting to build a system, and have two 10 inch speakers. I have replaced them with a some satellites. I will not be able to get a sub for some time, however in the mean time can I use my old speakers for my lows. I mean can I get usable bass from hocking them up to the B front speaker outs. The old speakers have external crossover controls. If anybody has a better way please let me know. I would try this out myself but my receiver blew, and I'm in the market for a new one. Thanks guys

2. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Well right now I’m using tower speakers with 12" woofer as my sub because I sold my old one and I'm saving up for a shiva. I have successfully hooked my tower speaker up to my surround sound receiver using an old stereo receiver as a pre amp. I was surprised how well it sounded. I would suggest you try it. If your new receiver has a pre amp subwoofer out you should be in great shape the only other thing you will need is a separate amp to power your 10" speakers. The only real problem in temporarily using these speakers for bass is if your receiver does not have a LFE (Low Frequency effect) out then you would need to purchase a separate subwoofer crossover to block th high frequencies from the sub. I hope this helps.
    Ryan