What's new

Make your own screen? (1 Viewer)

Joe Zemaitis

Stunt Coordinator
Is this a worth while thing?

I found this on ebay for $23.
Title: 54x108"DLP LCD PROJECTOR PROJECTION SCREEN MATERIAL

Description:
Here is a nice piece of bright white 54"x108" projector/projection screen material to use to make your own screen. Great for your home theater. This is a brand new never used piece of white canvas/rubber based screen material with a felt type backing. The gain is about the same as a matte white screen 1.3. Produces a nice bright even picture with a wide viewing cone. No glare or hot spots like you get with a vinyl or PVC screen. Please note: This is not a light weight plastic or cloth material that you hold up with velcro.

If I have to pay $150 for a screen that gives me a better picture I'd rather go that route. But I'm thinking to try this out since I'm not sure what size screen I should get.

Joe

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Do search and you'll hear about people using blackout cloth from most fabrics stores.

I paid about $25taxesINC Canadian for a piece 54" by 78" BO cloth. My screen will be 51" by 68" and about 85" diagonal.

Stretch the BO cloth over a homemade frame and figure out how you want to finish it off.

My total cost including EVERYTHING for this screen will be right around $80Can

B

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Blackout material is inexpensive and make a very good screen. I have made a couple myself. Works perfect. Can't beat under $100.00 CDN for a screen as big as 14" diagonal.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
Blackout cloth is actually slightly grey not white which improves contrast levels from your projector. Colours will become richer because LCD and DLP projector blacks are slightly grey.

Tom_Link

Auditioning
If you go to AVSforum.com there is a discussion thread dedicated to screens. There are many threads on making your own screen. Blackout cloth, available at JoAnne Fabrics, is a very popular choice. It is fairly easy to make your screen using this cloth. You can project onto the plain cloth or you can paint it for improved contrast. There is enough information there to make your head spin! I have a BO cloth screen myself and am very satisfied.

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a picture of my blackout cloth screen

And here are a couple of screenshots. I know that screenshots aren't always the most accurate way to judge projectors and screens, but they will give you some idea of what you can expect to get out of a blackout cloth screen.

Fifth Element
Frodo

MikeP

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
BO cloth can be purchased in white, ivory, and light grey. I made mine out of white and am very happy with the results.

Aaron_*P

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Infocus Screenplay 7200 DLP projector and made my screen out of directions and cloth from a guy on ebay named moakes. It looks great and he was an awsome seller.

Joe Zemaitis

Stunt Coordinator
I just put my own together out of some blackout cloth I got from the fabric store. A sheet of 56/80 for 13 bucks. I bought some L and T brackets and constructed a frame thats 69/50 (i think). Just two long stripes of 1x2 on top and three shorter peice of 1x2 down each side and one down the middle. Had my girlfriend help with stretching and stapeling and we're good. Mounted it on the wall... Everything looks great! I'm thinking about putting a black boarder around the entire thing somehow, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Joe

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I used black velvet wrapped around some 1x3's and stapled. I used some drywall screws (from the back of the frame)to hold them in place. You could attach them to the side of your frame using T-Brackets as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks