Make Your Own Coasters

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Andy_S, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

Jul 19, 2000
    Hey everyone,

Over the last couple of years I've come up with some accessories to deck out my home theater and since I'm a tight-wad, I try to make everything myself. This first project I'm posting was cheap and easy and makes a great little addition to the home theater (and keeps people from leaving rings on your table!).

Supplies needed:
    Old mouse pad (Cloth-top kind work best)
    Spray Adhesive
    Clear Plastic Sheet (I used a sheet of overhead projector transparency)
    Color Printer

First, I created some artwork using Paint Shop Pro to use as the decorative top of the coasters. If you don't care to make your own, you can use mine. Get them here. It's a 1MB zip file that contains the images in Paint Shop format as well as JPEG format. Use your favorite graphics program to print them out. After printing out the artwork, I carefully cut each circle out.

Next, I took an old mouse pad and tore off the cloth top. This left me with a soft black rubber mat that I could glue my artwork to. I cut the mat into pieces roughly the same size as the artwork that I cut out before (make sure the rough cut is LARGER than the artwork). Then, I took each piece of mat and sprayed it with the spray adhesive (This stuff is messy and smells bad so you probably want to do it outside or in a well ventilated area). Then I quickly laid the artwork on top of it and placed a heavy book on top.

Once it dried (it dries fast) I carefully trimmed the overhanging mat so that it would be a perfect circle, using the artwork as a guide.

Next I cut the transparent plastic into pieces, each slightly larger than the artwork/mat combo created in the previous step. Then I sprayed the top of the artwork with the spray adhesive and placed the transparent sheet on it and smoothed out all air bubbles that may have been trapped.
    So now the artwork is sandwiched between a clear sheet of plastic and a rubber mat.

Once that dried I carefully trimmed the excess transparency. The plastic transparency protects the artwork from the liquid that will get on your coaster.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the project. It was fun and took less than an hour to complete. My personal favorite artwork on the coasters is the E.T. one. I like the way the moon is takes up the whole coaster.
  2. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Feb 5, 2001
    I'd like to see pictures of your finished work!
  3. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

Mar 20, 2003
    How would you like to save some time........Well I am waiting for your answer.

I am sure you said YES..

When I make svcds, doesn't matter if you know what they are or not. I use a site to get the cd cover. I then use avery's afterburner cd labeling system($10 after rebate) and viola a svcd disc with a printed cover just like a dvd. You can also use this method to label dvd-r's (no money to buy dvd burner yet)

I hope this idea will help you but seems like you still will have to use some type of plastic coating to protect the image.

I would now like to thank you for this idea, I am going to use some cd-rs that didn't record. Ironically people call them coasters when the burn process fails.

Oh yeah the website...

Good Luck and let me know How you make out

4. KrisPfeiffer

KrisPfeiffer Extra

Jun 3, 2002

Through they're not movies, I bought (they're a bit expensive) these glass coasters from Crate and Barrel that you can insert your own photographs into. They're pretty fun...

I have little B&W travel photographs I've taken - they match our travel theme in the Home Theatre.

5. DarrinG

DarrinG Extra

Jul 28, 2003
    I work for a graphic design place and we make coasters for weddings there very simple to design and print and they are on a heavy paper.

Then we send them off to be cut into circles. Very simple to do and cheap. Well at least for me.

Thats just what I do.
  6. ReneR

ReneR Auditioning

Jan 9, 2003
    If I could figure out how to upload an image I would show some of the coasters I made using mousepad coasters and inkjet transfer paper.

I found scenes from our favorite movies, printed on the transfer paper and ironed the paper to the coaster.