What's new

Make up my mind!! Pioneer 578A vs Sony 875 5 disc (1 Viewer)

Dennis_N

Agent
HELP!!! :D I am very confused and I can't make up my mind on these two DVD players. I know they are almost apples to oranges, but I am looking for some recommendations. This is what i have figured out so far. The Pioneer has some pluses including better audio and video, but the minuses are that it is silver and only a 1 disc player. The Sony is black and has the 5 disc changer ability (something I am looking for but not a necessity, though I have heard it is really slow at changing discs). I am under the impression that the Pioneer is the better all around player, and if so, I am going to go that way. I just wanted to run it by the people that have a better idea at all of this!!

Also, if you look at the TV I have, I don't need to worry about DVI or HDMI connections, upscaling, or even progressive scan. I am going to cross that bridge when I get a new TV.

Also, the lowest prices I have found seem to be on Amazon.com and ecost.com. Are there any other places I should be looking at for some good deals? Thanks in advance for all the replies and sorry for the newbie post...but that is what I am!!! :)

Halen

Stunt Coordinator
Seems like, for you, the Sony is "Form over Function". If your looking for quality in your set up then that should be close to last on your list. Think about it, as soon as the movie comes on are you going to be looking to see what color your DVD player is?

As for deals, you can go to www.cnet.com and type in the player modle in their search bar, it'll usually give you 2 to 5 prices found on the net. Usually good prices too. You might even find reviews for each player.

Good luck!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Having been the happy owner of the sony 875 for some months now I'd hardly put it's performance near last on any list of non-upconverting players. It certainly does a better job than my highly lauded but now dead Panny CP-72 did on the vast majority of discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks