What's new

Make sure your new display has HDMI - HDCP connector (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Given the swirl in the software section about the upcoming HD-DVD format requiring HDMI-HDCP connectors to display high-definition signals, I thought it useful to remind current shoppers to get a display with the HDMI-HDCP connector, for (expected) compatibility with HD DVD players.

(I don't know if all HD displays have this standard now or not. If so, just ignore me :))

Brian Gi

Stunt Coordinator
That is exactly why, a year from now, the industry will be moaning and crying about poor sales of HD-DVD. Ignoring the first few MILLION HD sets sold is not a recipe for a successful product launch. Nazi's.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
My bedroom HDTV does, but my projector does not, and I would rather watch such movies on my projector. :thumbsdown:

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
How about HDCP compatible DVI? With the price drop, I'm considering getting the NEC HT1100. It was created before HDMI, but I think it should still work.

Jason

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit

I agree my 2.5 year old RP HDTV doesn't have a HDMI or DVI input. Hopfully someone will come up with a solution, or the people pushing the copy protection should offer a buy back program so I can upgrade, since I have a strong feeling HD tvs without a HDMI or DVI input aren't going to be worth much after the new formats requiring copy protection come out, and all future formats will be the same.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
how much stuff is out there that is not hdcp compliant?

iirc, for just about all the gear reviews i've ever read, the dvi/hdmi input has always been hdcp.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

Yes, for OTA, digital cable, satellite HD, upscaling DVD players with firmware that allows upscaling video through component and from HD-DVD downrezzed to 480p. But it all depends on what you want and what you are willing to wait for. If you are buying a new t.v. or in the market for one, then by all means it should have HDMI that's HDCP compliant. But it's not the end of the world. Look at D-Theater with D-VHS. HD movies with DTS on D-VHS and you can almost count how many people stepped into it. I'm considering but no rushing into. Point here, if you are going to buy then yes, if you are not in the market now, then enjoy as much as you can or as close to HD-DVD as you can.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Do you need more than on HDMI input to connect a HD Box ala' HD-Direct TiVo & a HD-DVD/ Blueray player?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but hopefully loaded receivers with more than one HDMI input for switching and actual HDMI switchers will take care of multiple requirements for HDMI sources.

Richard_T

Second Unit
Can someone please explain all this HDCP stuff to me? A little while back, my satellite receiver went through an update and I lost the picture to allot of my channels. I called my provider and I was asked whether my TV was "HDCP Compliant". I had no idea what he was talking about. I told him that I had just got my Sony 55XS955 about two weeks earlier and that I was completely new to this HDCP thing. He asked me how my receiver was hooked up to m y TV and I told him I was using a DVI/HDMI cable. He said that this was causing a problem. He and I looked through the Sony site and could find nothing about whether my TV was compliant or not.

Anyway, he did something on his side and my picture came back and as for me, I'm still in the dark. Help clear this up for me will someone?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
HDCP=High Definition Copy Protection. This prevents people from recording High Defintion material. If your t.v. is HDCP compliant, that should not stop you from seeing protected HD material.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
"you can't use a DVI or HDMI output on their device to feed a DVI or HDMI input on a device that isn't HDCP compliant.”

“In July broadcasters can begin sending digital TV signals with a "flag"--a piece of code that restricts copying--to prevent mass piracy of TV shows or movies. New devices that receive over-the-air digital TV signals, like some HDTV sets and tuner cards, must recognize the rules. Here's what you need to know.
1. The flag affects digital content from broadcast networks like ABC, not cable networks like HBO (which have other content protection). But cable and satellite boxes must respect the flag on any show.
2. A legacy clause lets your existing products continue to work as usual.
3. VCRs won't change, since they are analog devices.
4. Today's TiVo devices won't change, but the next-generation HD TiVo will add encryption technology. The same is true for other hard disk-based recorders.
5. Recordable DVD devices will change when high-definition blue-laser recorders hit the U.S. market in 2006”
short quote from: Laurianne McLaughlin
From the June 2005 issue of PC World magazine

Looks like D* is testing to see which consumer system components might have unforeseen incompability issues.
The bad thing is (I really have not been following recently) is this is a silent mode test [if] D* is downrezing resolution to repair the connection on the legacy sets, they are implementing very quietly; collecting which displays/connections have the issue; and sitting back waiting to see if any consumers complain about an additional degradation in the PQ, (or just accept it).

even though the FCC just lost the most recent battle in court BroadCasters are still having to prepare, since the Studios will keep hammering it through.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
that's the magic question norm. you can wait and see what happens, or jump into it now. i decided on the latter.

1. i wanted hd
2. i bought it, knowing that mpeg4 is around the corner
3. i got it for really cheap
4. i'm banking on d* hooking up their existing hd subscriber base (which they historically have done).

of course, we don't know for sure what d* is going to do ... so everything is heresay.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I've been reading about mpeg 4 with HD-Direct Tivo. So That will effect todays TV as well?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
umm...not sure what you mean. with the new mpeg4 scheme, it will render all the old hd boxes obsolete.

check out tivocommunity.com -- lots of good info on this issue.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I can't seem to find out when the mpeg 4 boxes will be out.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I can't seem to find out when the mpeg 4 boxes will be out

No one knows for sure, I believe there is one site setting up for pre-orders for the H20 (?) STB.

more might be known regarding details on bits of how D* is rolling out the switch after Aug 4th.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks