What's new

Make Room For Daddy on Cozi TV - Season 10! (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Joe Lugoff said:
NBC showed daytime reruns of the Hagen years in the early 1960s. I don't remember the entire series ever being on in syndication. And I have more to say .......................... coming right up.
From what I can piece together, the first 4 ABC seasons were rerun on the NBC network daytime schedule in the early 60s, not sure until what year, maybe 1964 or 65. They have not been sold legitimately since, although the copyrights on them were not properly renewed so a handful of them have run on small stations that run PD material.I believe that the 10th season at one time was in the syndication package as that package originally contained 195 episodes. Later on, maybe in the early 80s or so, it was cut down to 161 episodes and only included seasons 5 thru 9. I don't think that season 11 has ever been re-shown until this current run on Cozi. Although, like most long running series, its quite evident that the show had run out of gas at this point and was basically running on fumes. Its similar to what was done with My Three Sons where the first 5 seasons and the last season and a half were never included in the syndication package. Eventually, Nick at Nite picked up all of those shows and ran them in the mid-80s. But in addition to the first 5 seasons being in black and white and on a different network, you had a different son, and a different old coot (Bub). I guess they just think its easier to not confuse audiences with cast comings and goings.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
And wonder if any of these will see the light of day on DVD?? Even if it's MOD??

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'd say that there's definitely a chance. I have no inside track here, but as a higher profile show that still has at least some familiarity, has transfers available for at least its 2nd era, and is without obvious licensing issues that would appear to be a huge problem to overcome for a release, it has to stand a better chance than most candidates from the 50's and 60's that haven't yet been released at seeing more activity on DVD.

If it does, I really hope that it starts out with a complete season 4-11 set.

I of course want the first 3 as well, but not only do we have the rumor, the fact they have largely not been seen in years, aren't very familiar these days to those that remember the show, and probably lack appropriate transfers for most of the run, but it would push it way over the amount where I think any DVD publisher might consider starting out on day 1 with a complete release.

Plus, you probably don't want to start right off in numerical order if you start out with season releases since you want to tap into people's memories and most only remember the Marjorie Lord era.

Would be best to get the later seasons out and hopefully have it perform well enough to get someone interested in making a deal happen for the Jean Hagen run as well.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Rob_Ray said:
Of course there are a few times when you shouldn't even trust what you read in TV Guide. Back in the day, I remember their writeups being wrong on several occasions "due to circumstances beyond their control" to use the TV jargon of the day. For one obvious example, I wouldn't trust anything that appears in the TV Guide for the week following November 22, 1963.
Yes, all television was cancelled from the afternoon of November 22, 1963 until the morning of November 26. So the TV Guide listings for those days of course would be wrong. All the episodes from those days would show up later, with "Postponed from an earlier date" at the bottom of the listing.

But the TV Guides tell us when those episodes were INTENDED to be shown, which to me is more important than when they finally ended up being shown.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I noticed it's also showing on ME-TV during the wee hours of the morning but no clue what season.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Hopefully Me-TV starts airing these three additional seasons, but so far they just show the usual suspects. They start out on the episode where the family is out on their honeymoon in Las Vegas just after Danny married Kathy and end just as Charlie, the nightclub owner that employs Danny, has his baby. Seasons 5-9, I believe.

Kind of frustrating knowing that a channel I don't get has three seasons of this show that I've barely seen anything of. Especially annoys me when a Cozi TV commercial airs on here. :)

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Have no memory of the season 4 reruns, assuming I ever saw them back in the '60s. So, watching "Boarding School" yesterday on Cozi was new to me. They specifically acknowledged the death of 'Margaret' one year earlier in their storyline, and 'Danny' struggling to be a single parent. With all the discussion of Hagen/Thomas friction, it was interesting to see they had a framed picture of 'Margaret' placed on the piano, prominently seen in several closeup shots with Danny.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Brent S said:
With all the discussion of Hagen/Thomas friction, it was interesting to see they had a framed picture of 'Margaret' placed on the piano, prominently seen in several closeup shots with Danny.
that is interesting !!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I find that odd didn't they have to have Hagen's permission to use her photo??

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
It was totally different dynamic from Hagen to Lord on the series also in my opinion Hagen was not as glam as Lord. Hagen was more Plain and Lord was glam mom.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Not really fair to say they both had great qualities!Remember watching Hagen in reruns as a kid and she stood up to Danny whereas Lord really was more submissive to him..., remember I was a kid then like third grade I liked both for different reasons....

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Although it wasn't written that way, as that's not how things were on TV in the 50s, it actually does make perfect sense for the characters. Danny was an entertainer and Margaret was his average first wife who gave him two kids. Then when he became more successful, he would have dumped her and found himself a trophy wife hottie like Kathy. Of course in real life, he would have given Margaret the kids as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.