What's new

Make Room For Daddy on Cozi TV - Season 10! (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yes 4:3 material will have black bars on the sides of the picture on a 16:9 TV Just like 16:9 (1.77:1) material has black bars on the top and bottom of the screen on 4:3 TV's.
4:3 can be stretched or Zoomed on 16:9 TV's.
jimmyjet said:
i see. if a person has a 16:9 screen, it will show some black areas if they show it in 4:3 ?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It sounds like they're cropping, but if they're stretching it to 16:9 instead of cropping, some HDTV's allow you to compress a 16:9 HD signal to pillarboxed 4:3 proportions.

Not nearly as common as the ability to stretch 4:3 SD/ED to 16:9 though which is a standard feature on HDTV's.

I hope the early seasons make their way out someday. Seen a few episodes here and there and thought they were great.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I've read in many places that Danny Thomas was an irritating, obnoxious person -- and now here he is being irritating and obnoxious from beyond the grave by not allowing the first three seasons (of the only thing he's famous for, any more!) to be seen, just because his co-star quit the show because she couldn't stand him. (And Sherry Jackson bailed out the split second she could, too, by the way.)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I don't take Wikipedia for face value, but what they say about Sherry Jackson is what I've read in 3 or 4 different places over the years (She left because of the pace of the show and was getting burned out).

I can picture him being tough and having a bit of a temper, but this, the Dick Van Dyke Show, and the Andy Griffith Show are still three of my favorites.

I hope this one ends up somehow being mostly complete on DVD with nice uncut transfers eventually. These apparently new transfers are the most optimistic news that there might be a chance that I've seen in years.

I hope they put them to good use.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I agree that if the refusal to ever let Seasons 1-3 be seen again is simply to carry on a feud with Jean Hagen from beyond the grave, then that is petty and ridiculous.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i said this before, but this is part of the reason why i have hope that this show will be released by the kids

if that is the reason, and i was the child of the father acting in this fashion, i think i would make the decision to release the show, and keep a good memory of my father with the public.

egos in hollywood are abundant, but gosh this is just outright embarrassing - one dead person fighting someone else who is dead ??

it goes beyond ridiculous. it is also why i have some lingering doubts that this was written into the will ?

i guess time will tell...

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Jack P said:
I agree that if the refusal to ever let Seasons 1-3 be seen again is simply to carry on a feud with Jean Hagen from beyond the grave, then that is petty and ridiculous.
Is it simply just that - or the fact the seasons are public domain? As someone (Neil?) pointed out, the registrations are invalid as they were renewed AFTER the cut off point.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Quick Note - COZI also runs MAKE ROOM on Sundays for an hour and those run in order with the weekday airings for those recording these.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Finally season eleven is this the season Danny and Kathy go to Europe??

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Jack P said:
... a feud with Jean Hagen ....
I met Jack Elinson in 2000 in Mt. Airy NC at an ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW event. In addition to being a writer/producer on TDTS, he wrote for TAGS including Jean Hagen's episode "The Woman Speeder." (Danny Thomas was co-Exec. Producer of TAGS.)

Elinson mentioned that Danny made a point to visit with Jean on the Griffith set, and the reunion between them was friendly and sweet. Jack specifically pointed out that whatever friction there once was, by 1962 it was gone and forgotten.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Danny Thomas was the Bob Barker of his generation. Much like how Bob Barker has gone so far out of his way to act like Holly Hallstrom and episodes with fur coats as prizes on The New Price is Right never existed, Danny Thomas went so far out of his way to act like Jean Hagen never existed.

And Thomas' surviving family and estate is (sadly) carrying on his wishes.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Vahan_Nisanain said:
Danny Thomas was the Bob Barker of his generation. Much like how Bob Barker has gone so far out of his way to act like Holly Hallstrom and episodes with fur coats as prizes on The New Price is Right never existed, Danny Thomas went so far out of his way to act like Jean Hagen never existed.And Thomas' surviving family and estate is (sadly) carrying on his wishes.
Kind of surprising, given Marlo had her own issues with her father. I'm at a bit of a loss how it is best to honor his memory by making sure almost none of what he is most well known for is available to the viewing public. *shrugs*

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I met Jack Elinson in 2000 in Mt. Airy NC at an ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW event. In addition to being a writer/producer on TDTS, he wrote for TAGS including Jean Hagen's episode "The Woman Speeder." (Danny Thomas was co-Exec. Producer of TAGS.) Elinson mentioned that Danny made a point to visit with Jean on the Griffith set, and the reunion between them was friendly and sweet. Jack specifically pointed out that whatever friction there once was, by 1962 it was gone and forgotten.
That's a nice story if it's true, but the old adage "actions speak louder words" applies to this situation regarding the availability of Seasons 1-3 for repeats, let alone DVD releases. If an explanation were made public that it's all about issues like the public domain matter, or the poor quality of the master elements, I could be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but absent that, the feeling its all about long-term ill-feeling is going to persist.It's even possible for both to be true. That Danny was quite willing to be a professional and not do anything to keep her from getting work on a guest shot gig, but as far as promoting past work goes, that could have been seen as a separate matter.There is one piece of Danny Thomas's work though that should have been burned and kept from viewing forever and that's his embarrassing guest role on the final produced episode of "Kojak" (Season 5). I have never seen a worse performance by a big name, and when its a comedian trying to be serious its even more embarrassing.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I have a feeling that it's more that someone theorized one day why these episodes had been unseen for years, it appeared possible due to the unpleasant breakup that was reported back in the day, and has since been repeated enough where some now accept it as fact.

Has there ever been anything remotely official to support this theory that Danny Thomas is responsible for these early seasons having been kept in the vaults all these years?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
AlanP said:
Finally season eleven is this the season Danny and Kathy go to Europe??
No, they went to Europe in Season 10.*

*I answered this at the exact time AlanP reasked it in a slightly different way!

About the Hagen Episodes:

It seems to me that somewhere along the line, maybe starting in Season 8 (1960-61), after Terry disappeared, never to be seen or mentioned again, the show behaved as if Danny had always been married to Kathy and she was the mother of Rusty and Danny was the father of Linda. That might have been one motivation to pretend the Hagen episodes never existed.

However, if that's why the first four seasons (the three Hagens and the "widower" season) were removed from syndication, then logically, seasons 5, 6 and 7 should have been, too, when Rusty called his stepmother by her first name.

I sincerely wish this was my biggest problem in life, but it's interesting to speculate.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I have never seen the episodes when they went to Europe was it the entire season ?? And were any shot on location ?? Did Charlie and bunny go as well? Was the season similar to when Lucy and the Mertzes went??

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
The season they go to Europe is the storyline similar to the season Lucy and the Mertzes went ??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.