What's new

Make own DVDs OR have them replicated? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I'm in preproduction on a micro budget feature film and we have decided to distribute it ourselves on DVD.

The question I have for this very knowledgeable crowd is this: Is it better to use a replication service OR is it better to produce the DVDs ourselves with software and a burner?

What DVDs should we use if home replication is better and where can I find the best blank prices?

What unforseen problems can we expect with burning our own?
I'm pretty knowledgable with a PC but haven't done any DVD burning so I am very unfamiliar with this process although I can make CDs etc.

Thanks for all the help!!! We really appreciate it!!!

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
My experience with burning your own is that some DVD players can't play them. Most will but there will be some problems which isn't good if you are going to be selling the product. I've heard that replicating is relatively inexpensive, but I've never checked into it. I'm sure it all depends on how many you are doing and where you get it done. Please post about your experiences, I'll be doing the same thing in about a year.

On a side note, what kind of cameras are you using? Are you using film or digital. I'm looking into purchasing Panasonic's new 24p camera.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I'm in preproduction on a micro budget feature film and we have decided to distribute it ourselves on DVD.
If you're doing more than a dozen or so to send out as promo copies, you can probably do it on your own. If you're doing larger quantities, go the replicator route.

Beware of the type of DVD-R media you use. One brand that most folks swear by is Maxell. Personally, I've had trouble with Memorex brand playing in some DVD players. There's a DVD-R brand compatibility grid online somewhere if you search for it, and another good resource is the DVD Creation board at www.2-pop.com.

Cheers,

Blu

Screenwriter
We are using MiniDV, I have a Canon XL-1s and the local community cable channels cameras which are the Panasonic equivalent.

I've read some nice things about the 24p and would have had a tough choice to make if it had been out when I bought the Canon. I don't think you could go wrong either way!

David Susilo

Screenwriter
One thing for sure, be prepared to spend around $1000 to $2000 for a glass master (regardless of copies you make) if you use DVD replication.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Just like creating a CD master presser, a glass master needs to be made.

A glass master is covered with a photosensitive layer and engraved with data laser light.

Then, a fine silver coating is applied to the glass master’s surface by vacuum evaporation process.

The glass master is then transformed into a “mould” which is used to press discs. This is achieved by adding a layer of nickel on the glass master by means of electroplating. The nickel layer is then separated from the glass base to recover the negative of the disc. The result is what is called the stamper. Other masters can be produced by repeating the electroplating process.

When the mould ready, DVDs can now be replicated. Liquefied polycarbonate is then injected into the mould and, after only a few seconds of pressing, a disc containing all the data is quickly created.

For the disc to be readable, it must be covered with a micro thin layer of aluminum which is vacuum laid. The aluminum surface acts as a mirror to reflect the laser light back so information can be read.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
BTW, Omnidisc have a special "$1100 for 1000 DVDs"

I never use them but you may want to check whether the price includes glass-master (which I doubt).

Blu

Screenwriter
So whatever company I use the cost I see is only for the replication part and not the total cost?
Making the glass master sounds like a big long expensive process.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
99% of the time, the glass master cost is not included. However, there are exceptions, especially if you find a company that's just starting up or if you want to replicate lots of discs and you can ask for the glassmaster cost to be waived.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks