Make my speakers sound better!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Getson, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Dave Getson

Dave Getson Stunt Coordinator

Currently, for my fronts, I have a pair of Mirage OM-7. I have a Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver.

What could I do to make them sound better for movies and music? Check out my setup on my website for a little clearer picture of my setup.

Any ideas would be great! Thanks!!

Dave.

2. MarkFrab

MarkFrab Agent

For gods' sake man! Get them away from the walls! [​IMG]
    It's difficult to see exactly how they're arranged, but they look too close to the side and back walls. Imaging would almost certainly improve if they were 2-3 ft from the nearest walls. If that drops the bass of the system too much, you'd make up for that by moving the sub into the corner.
    This will probably reduce the bass response of the speakers, so you may need to re-calibrate. You have calibrated using Avia or Video Essentials, haven't you? Oh, and all speakers should be set to "small" too.
    The image map seems to indicate that the right speaker is farther away from the TV that the left. They should be equi-distant from the center.
    Also, move your sofa out from the wall a foot or two and mount your rears on the wall behind the sofa, pointing towards each other instead of directly at you. And move them about 3-ft higher than ear level.
    How's that? [​IMG]

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

4. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Dave:

When Mark said

5. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Mark and Larry. Get those speakers away from the walls. The OM-7's are great speakers but needs room to breath. At least a foot away from the walls if not more. Preferably 2 to 3 feet. You should hear a big difference right away.

6. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Relsoved! The speakers need to be moved out and I think a little toe-in would be in order.
    More importantly... that dead plant by the right speaker may be killing your sound field[​IMG]

7. Dave Getson

8. Dave Getson

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll move the speakers when I get home and see what difference that makes. It's not the biggest room in the world, but we'll see what happends. When I get a place of my own again, I'll be able be more flexable.