What's new

Make my speakers sound better! (1 Viewer)

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
Currently, for my fronts, I have a pair of Mirage OM-7. I have a Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver.

What could I do to make them sound better for movies and music? Check out my setup on my website for a little clearer picture of my setup.

Any ideas would be great! Thanks!!

Dave.

MarkFrab

Agent
For gods' sake man! Get them away from the walls! ;)
It's difficult to see exactly how they're arranged, but they look too close to the side and back walls. Imaging would almost certainly improve if they were 2-3 ft from the nearest walls. If that drops the bass of the system too much, you'd make up for that by moving the sub into the corner.
This will probably reduce the bass response of the speakers, so you may need to re-calibrate. You have calibrated using Avia or Video Essentials, haven't you? Oh, and all speakers should be set to "small" too.
The image map seems to indicate that the right speaker is farther away from the TV that the left. They should be equi-distant from the center.
Also, move your sofa out from the wall a foot or two and mount your rears on the wall behind the sofa, pointing towards each other instead of directly at you. And move them about 3-ft higher than ear level.
How's that? :D

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Mark and Larry. Get those speakers away from the walls. The OM-7's are great speakers but needs room to breath. At least a foot away from the walls if not more. Preferably 2 to 3 feet. You should hear a big difference right away.

MarkFrab

Agent
I've been posting this everywhere today. :)
DD 5.1 Speaker Placement Guide
BTW, I recommended earlier to move the sofa forward a bit. This is only necessary if you're going to be listening to multi-channel audio (DVD-A or SACD) in addition to surround-sound movies.
Regards.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Relsoved! The speakers need to be moved out and I think a little toe-in would be in order.
More importantly... that dead plant by the right speaker may be killing your sound field;)

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll move the speakers when I get home and see what difference that makes. It's not the biggest room in the world, but we'll see what happends. When I get a place of my own again, I'll be able be more flexable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks